Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
askaraboz
New

Account broken into and login info changed

So I'm trying to figure out how to get access to my account back. Someone was able to log into it and changed all the login info so I have no access to it at the moment. Have been trying customer support to no avail. I do not remember what my pin was but i'm sure it was changed anyway. Last 8 digits of the credit card on file I do have as well as I closed that bank account and have no record of what that card number was. Now they referred me to changeupdate where I submitted my drivers license copy but they responded the address doesn't match the one on record. I have not lived at that address for many years and never had any utilities in my name there so no luck in that department. It takes 2-3 days to get a response back from changeupdate mind you. The last response they wanted me to submit some kind of business registration certificate which I don't have as I'm not a business just it's just my personal account. So I'm at my wits end as to what to do to prove to godaddy that I am who I am and that account belongs to me. Why is this such unnecessarily complicated issue. What can I do to get back access to my own account? My account is up for renewal already and I can't pay for it or do anything about it. 

1 REPLY 1
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @askaraboz. Thanks for posting. That definitely sounds like a frustrating situation. There are very strict guidelines when it comes to having an agent update contact information for an account. Generally, they're not able to do this unless the person requesting access is able to prove they are the account holder. If that's not possible for some reason, then the other option is to move your domain(s) to another account you do have access to. This sounds like what you're probably trying to do now.

In order to move a domain in this situation, you must be able to show that you are the registrant for the domain. This is determined by what is listed on the corresponding entry on the domain's WHOIS data. (You can look that up on who.godaddy.com). Sometimes, people list a false business/organization name on their domain's WHOIS data. If that's what happened in your case, you can usually reply explaining that there is no such organization/business and the account recovery team will have you fill out a different form. 

I know the above process may seem more difficult than it has to be, but account security matters are taken very seriously. I'd suggest continuing to work with our account recovery team. Please keep in mind that any delay you may experience due to an escalation of this nature is due to our teams addressing other concerns that were escalated prior to yours. Issues are generally handled on a first in/first out basis. I hope this information helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.