cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Auto Renewal Failure Despite Payment Methods Are Good

Got a "Renewal Failure" email. The email read "We tried to bill your Checking - Business account ending in XX in the amount of $XXX for the item(s) below, but our attempt failed. This could be due to an invalid or expired credit card on file...."  All my domain names are on Auto-renew with 2 up-to-date credit cards and my business bank account has been forever.  How did Godaddy not able to renew my domain names?  I have to renew them manually online after receiving their failure notice. Called GoDaddy customer service and sounds like GoDaddy is not able to give me a good reason.  The rep told me that these renewal failure domains are on the credit card that has expired.  That is not true.  I do my part to keep everything up-to-date and I expect GoDaddy to do the same.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Community Manager

Hi @Meridian. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community. It's difficult to try to address billing concerns here on the forums. I'm sorry our support team wasn't able to provide you with a definitive answer. In my experience, the error you saw would either be generated by 1) the card the product was associated was expired or 2) for some reason, the bank associated with the payment method denied the transaction. That can happen for many reasons. It could simply come down to a system error, but that's highly uncommon. I would recommend either reviewing the situation with your bank or getting in touch with our billing team specifically. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Community Manager

Hi @Meridian. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community. It's difficult to try to address billing concerns here on the forums. I'm sorry our support team wasn't able to provide you with a definitive answer. In my experience, the error you saw would either be generated by 1) the card the product was associated was expired or 2) for some reason, the bank associated with the payment method denied the transaction. That can happen for many reasons. It could simply come down to a system error, but that's highly uncommon. I would recommend either reviewing the situation with your bank or getting in touch with our billing team specifically. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

View solution in original post

I'm experiencing the exact same thing.  I have my domains on auto-renew NOTHING WRONG with credit card.  It is NOT EXPIRED and there is NO ISSUE with my bank.  Godaddy just decided to blacklist my card and start cancelling my auto-renew domains!

So I called in last week and Godaddy wasn't sure what had happened but assured me they had taken care of it. I was then able to pay for my expired "auto-renew" domains (while on phone with Godaddy rep).

Now this week the same thing!!

I have a dozen or so expired domains, "again"!  I'm on phone with Godaddy rep right now and they have no idea why my card was flagged again. I mean, WTH!  I cannot be worried and always monitoring godaddy to make sure they're not letting my "auto renew" domains expire!

Anyone else having this problem?

Yep, I have the same issue.

I have auto renew setup with one credit card on file which doesn't expire until late 2020.  I had updated an old credit card - (which you do every year when you get a new one) - however updating the credit card does not actually update the credit card associated with any of your products under it even if it is the only credit card on file or you are replacing one - you need to physically go into each product and update them one by one - (there is a different screen for this and took me 3 different call ins to work out what actually happened).  After getting the run around from godaddy - I'm certain this is what they do to obtain domain names for resale / auction.  I'm very disgusted and plan on moving my account fully.  Turns out you can't rely on godaddy for much of anything when it comes to auto renewing domains.  They did email this as a problem - however thinking I was on top of everything with a updated credit card combined with their constant spamming of promotions to your email address makes it difficult to separate urgent items from promotions if you are not expecting a issue.

Hey @Graham82 and all - Had same thing just happen. Got the "failed" renewal email, went in and manually renewed with the same payment method on file (that was current!) and it worked without a hitch. Trying to avoid future occurrences by adding the payment method to each product individually per your advice, but can't figure out how? Do you recall how you did it back in Jan?

Hey Everyone. Failures like this happen occasionally with all providers. Unfortunately, the cause is not always easy to track down. I'd suggest starting with a tier 2 agent with your payment provider (like Visa, PayPal, etc) and your bank. Most often, the issue occurs on the payment method side. If they can verify that the problem was from GoDaddy's side, I'd get as much information about what happened as you can and then get in touch with our care team so they can escalate that information to our payment team for further review. 

Same thing happened to me!  I've been talking to GoDaddy for 3 weeks about my issue.  First it was a glitch, then there's an issue with my bank (which my bank assured me is not the case) and now they are telling me my card is blacklisted.  To make matters worse they cannot and will not look into a "why".  I asked for an investigation as was told "no".  I asked to speak to someone that could look into it for me and was told "no".  I was told that my card was blacklisted and I will lose everything unless I get another credit card, which is not an option.  I have NEVER been so frustrated with Customer DisService, what a disgrace!

Hi @stitchcraft143. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're having trouble. If you spoke with a supervisor and they were not able to provide you with more information, then it's likely that you won't be able to use the card, unfortunately. However, there are alternative payment methods you can try. For instance, you can associate your PayPal account with your checking account and then use PayPal instead of a credit card. If you're in the US, you can try using an online check or Good as Gold as well. 

Same thing happened to me and I lost all of my domains.  I was told by the rep there must have been a problem with my payment method.  However, my monthly Office 365 using the same payment method worked just fine.  So now I've lost my domains I have been using for a long time.  So means GoDaddy just losed my business all auto-renewals now disabled.  I am moving all my domain management and services to another provider.

Community Manager

Hi @MarieT. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you're thinking about leaving. It is possible for payments to fail, even with a card that is otherwise known to be good. This has happened to me before (with a different provider, not GoDaddy). My suggestion would be to check with your bank to find out what happened with the transaction. If any decline occurred, they should be able to tell you exactly why. 

Thanks for the reply, but I have already checked with my bank and paypal tied to my bank.  There are no declined transactions.

Community Manager

@MarieT  That definitely sounds like a difficult situation to be in. It is possible for our agents to escalate the situation to our payment operations team in order to fully determine the cause of the failure. I'd recommend reaching out to our Billing team if you want that to happen. However, if you've already lost your domain, it may not be helpful. 

I did speak with the billing team and everything was good. (and when i asked to have them renew,they were able to without any further adjustments)  the auto renewal process FAILED!  GoDaddys lack of caring to look into this is even more concerning. Looking likely to move my domains.

New

I had the same thing, my auto-renew failed and support had no good answer to why.  I just lost trust.  I thought it may have been just a fluke, but my buddy lost his domain after it did't auto renew.  Oh, and to preempt the next response, I changed NOTHING when the support Representative tried manually and it worked.  Mine was linked to PayPal that was being used days before and after the auto renew date.  There is a glitch.  Proper response would be a postmortem on the situation and solution implemented.  That would bring trust back.

We experienced the same issue with GoDaddy. All billing information was up-to-date but somehow the renew failed. We had to manually log in and push a renew button with the same billing information that apparently failed. Unfortunately, we experienced some downtime until we noticed the issue. Not good!

I've just experienced the same thing on two expired domains, payment details good and no issue with that - I am pretty certain that autorenewal is on - even had emails to prove it, e.g. email says "you're good to go - thank you for your loyalty". Had to pay huge amount to recover them. Has anyone worked out whether this is a godaddy problem? And also how to ask a refund of the "redemption fee - .co.uk" which I don't think is anyone's fault here...

Thanks