cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New

COMPLAINT - Auto-renew issue

I have an issue with Go daddy. I have had a domain I don't want to use Auto-renew for two years which I did not agree to along with a nice price increase too. The money was taken from my bank without authorization on the 26th but the invoice states on go daddy the 25th, I phoned after the weekend and spoke to customer services 2 times on the 1st and even messaged the customer services on facebook while waiting to get it cancelled. They explained that as it was over 5 days I couldn't get a refund, no flexibility. I can't even get through to anyone higher up as apparently even supervisors can't process a payment because the button is blurred out? How is it that taking out a 1 year domain allows for a 30 day refund but 2 years is only 5 days?  By your paperwork I was 1 day out from the 5 day refund policy, by my bank statement I was within 5. This is after a weekend too, which I wrongly presumed wouldn't be taken into account as a working day. 
After not getting anywhere with Go-daddy I will contact my bank to get the charges reversed, at least their customer service gets results.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: COMPLAINT - Auto-renew issue

Hi @TWhall. I can understand your frustration with the situation. I'll be sure to pass along your feedback appropriately. As this is not a support forum, no one here would be able to assist you in obtaining a refund, even if the order was within the refund policy. However, I can tell you that the refund timeframe is directly related to the grace period provided by domain registries. This can change based on the type of domain and how long it is renewed for. After the timeframe passes, GoDaddy can no longer recover the fees involved in renewing the domain. That is why refunds are not offered after specific timeframes. GoDaddy does email in advance to let customers know that renewals will be processing as well. Additionally, automatic renewal can be disabled for products within an account at any time (except when Protected Registration, which intentionally disables the ability to change automatic renewal as long as it is active). I'm sure that's not the answer you're looking for, but at least it may help you understand why the refund was not issued. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Highlighted
New

Re: COMPLAINT - Auto-renew issue

Hi @JesseW,
People may not be able to help but they will be able to see the issues others are facing, I can't be alone. Godaddy may have emailed me but you guys send so much spam it is hard to know which emails need my attention. Just because you didn't receive a reply from me doesn't mean you are allowed to take money from my account without my say so.

After researching in the ICANN website (responsible for .com domains) I have found your explanation to be not entirely true as an auto-renew seems to carry a 45 day grace period for registrars?
See ICANN website -"https://www.icann.org/news/advisory-2002-06-06-en" 
"The Auto-Renew Grace Period is a specified number of calendar days following an auto-renewal. An auto-renewal occurs if a domain name registration is not renewed by the expiration date; in this circumstance the registration will be automatically renewed by the system the first day after the expiration date. The current value of the Auto-Renew Grace Period is 45 calendar days."

In other words, when a domain-name registration reaches its expiration date, it gets renewed for one-year automatically by the registry. The .com/.net/.org registry charges the registrar a US$6.00 fee for the new one-year registration term. 

The evidence I have seen says to me that it auto-renews for one year and never two. A renewal/extension is 5 days but this is not what has gone on here, I have paperwork that states this is an "auto-renew".

Hopefully Godaddy and my bank will clear this up when they make contact.