cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting a Domain

I own 2 products, a basic website builder and a .com domain. I want to delete both, so first I deleted the website builder, but when I go to delete the domain it says "Delete domain (disabled)". I have looked through other forums but I can't see any edit button beside Domain Lock. On the renew page I have renewals off, but in the domain manager page it says "is set to automatically renew in 1 days." and I don't want it to renew. Can anyone help me to cancel it completely?

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager

Hi @AlisonEB. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! My guess would be that you're using our Domain Ownership Protection service. This service prevents the domain from being canceled. If you remove it, you should be able to cancel the domain. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

How long do I have to wait until it's available elsewhere?

Community Manager

@AlisonEB. That depends on how old the domain is. If you canceled the domain within 5 days of registration, then it should be available to register again within 5 days of cancellation. However, if the domain is older than that, it can take much longer (months). Because of this, it's better to transfer the domain name registration instead of canceling it in this situation. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

@JesseW Oh no........ I have cancelled it just before the year was up..................

Why does it take so long to be available again?

So what are my options now?

Community Manager

@AlisonEB You should be able to recover the domain by using the steps in this article. As long as the domain hasn't expired, you should be able to recover it without additional charges. Then, you can purchase a domain transfer from the registrar you want to move to. See this article for more information about how to transfer a domain. 

As for the timeframe it takes to cancel a domain, this depends on several factors. The largest factor is how long it takes for the domain to become available is how long the registry keeps the domain before releasing it for public registration again. This is something that we do not control, so we can't give a specific timeframe for when it will occur. 

@JesseW It expired, there is a redemption fee? I only cancelled it 2 days ago...

Surely there is a cooling-oof period for a situation like this?

Community Manager

@AlisonEB - That's unfortunate. Since the domain was deleted after its expiration date, the redemption fee may have been added. Since this is more of an account specific issue at this point, I'd suggest getting in touch with our customer care team so they can see what your possibilities are.