cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Forced to renew for 2 years

Just one more reason I wish I could transfer all of my domains away from Godaddy. 

It seems that when using the auto renew feature we are now being forced to auto renew for a period of 2 plus years. There is NO option for 1 year that I have been using for the past 15 years as a customer of godaddy. And no, before someone mentions this depends on your initial purchase length that is simply not the case. I only EVER purchase domains for a 1 year period. 

This is extremely deceptive on the part of Godaddy and surely not legal. The only way to renew for a year is to cancel the auto renewal and then click the renew button manually, you then have the choice to renew for a year so why is this not the same in the auto renewal settings? 

People with 30+ domains don't want to take the risk of not having auto renew on and it seems like godaddy are cashing in on this - it really is a disgusting way to treat customers.

Making a complaint to godaddy about this is a pointless exercise but how can they get away with deceiving LOYAL customers like this? 

7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Forced to renew for 2 years

Hi @awilson3rd. Thanks for posting. I can definitely understand your frustration. First, I have to clarify that there are two ways that a domain can be set up to renew for more than one year. The first (and most common) is based on the initial purchase of the domain. You can verify this is the case by taking a look at the Order History for your account. If you're not able to find the initial receipt from your purchase, a member of our customer care team can help you out with that. If you have a receipt showing that your initial purchase of the domain was for a single year but it is renewing for more than that, please bring that to our support team as well so it can be reviewed in greater detail. That definitely shouldn't be happening. 

The second way that a domain can renew for multiple years is through setting up our extended automatic renewal service. However, this would only produce a multi-year renewal when it is initially set up. After that, it would renew domains based on their original term. 

This is definitely feedback we've heard before and I know that we're looking at changing how this works. Thanks again. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Hello and thanks for taking the time to respond. 

Firstly, I know for a fact that I only every purchase a domain for one year because I only purchase domains with a 'view' to developing them as a business. I have seen many reports that people are being forced or auto renew for 2 years when they only originally purchased for 1 year. 

Also, I did check the original purchase on a couple of auto renews and they were only purchased for one year but have been auto renewed for 2 years. There is no option to set the auto renew to 1 year, only 2 plus years. This is bad behaviour by Godaddy because all of my auto renews have been the same for the past 10 plus years. Only this year has it changed by godaddy forcing the 2 year plus auto renewal. 

I have now cancelled all my auto renews, this is a pain but I would prefer to keep my own records or renewals in a spreadsheet rather than being forced to pay for 2 years. As advised, when you click on the 'renew now' option there is an option for 1 year.

I will also be looking to transfer all domains in the near future because this has left a sour taste, especially to a loyal customer who has been registering domains with Godaddy for many years now. 

Thanks again - Andrew

Community Manager
Community Manager

@awilson3rd I can confirm that there isn't currently a way to change the number of years a domain renews for when automatic renewal is used. However, our system is not set up to renew domains for more years than they are initially registered for when automatic renewal is used (except in the situation I mentioned above). We'd definitely hate to see you go! I'd highly suggest reviewing the receipts in question with our customer care team before you decide to move on. I have never seen a scenario like the one you are describing. 

Please keep in mind that this is a community forum rather than a support form. Users here do not have access to internal GoDaddy systems and generally aren't able to assist with account specific issues.

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I'm not calling you personally a liar but this is a complete lie. 

I'm not going to go over this again but the domains are set for auto renew for 2 years and they were purchased for a single year so godaddy is being deceitful and lying about the system not doing this. 

Also, I have tried  many times in the past dealing with the customer care team and to be brutally honest they are a waste of time. They seem to read from a script and provide no help whatsoever. 

When Godaddy had a proper support system in place it wasn't so bad but in the last few years it has really gone downhill.

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

I think I see where some confusion might be coming from. The extended automatic renewal feature I mentioned looks like this within our domain manager:

DCC extended automatic renewal.png

Enabling this feature causes a drop-down list with a minimum of 2 years to appear: 

DCC extended automatic renewa 2l.png

I can see how this would be confusing as the name seems to indicate renewing the domain annually. The reason the lowest amount is 2 years is that the system assumes the registration is at least one year in length. If you click the small "i" icon next to the option it shows this clarifying text:

DCC extended automatic renewa 3l.png

To be perfectly clear, you DO NOT need to check this box in order to have automatic renewal function as it usually does. I hope that helps. 

Hello Jesse, 

Thanks for message and the clear explanation. I still find this very confusing so have decided to keep auto renewal off for the time being to avoid being over charged in the future. 

Thanks again for your patience and support - Andrew