Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

GD sold my domain without my permission

I've been w/ GD for almost a decade. Today I learned they sold my company's domain to someone else without my permission or knowledge via a subsidiary, AfterNic. WHOIS shows Domain Broker Service (another subsidiary) bought it.

All 3 companies involved say there's nothing they can do to get my domain back for me. It appears as though a subsidiary bought it just to resell it to someone else. They cannot contact the purchaser and tell them it never should have been up for sale, they can't release any info. I even tried to buy it back, but apparently I only purchased a service that negotiates your purchase deal (via another GD company), not the domain itself. 

Systems and processes apparently override any human decision-making. 

3 GD-owned companies in a circle all benefiting themselves at the expense of me, the customer.

If anyone has had success resolving a similar problem, please let me know. Meanwhile, my company has no website and my clients/prospects will only see 404 messages and email errors and think my company went out of business. I'm frantically trying to set up another site in the meantime. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @davidvsgol7  - It seems like there is definitely some confusion regarding what occurred with your domain. We would never sell a customers domain without their approval. The only mechanism we have in place to sell domains that are in customer accounts is our List for Sale service (formerly premium domains). Afternic manages this service, and that's why it would appear that they sold the domain. However, this would only take place if a domain had been listed for sale by its registrant. 

As for the domain WHOIS showing Domain Broker Service, I'm guessing maybe you're referring to our Domains By Proxy service. That would show on the WHOIS information if the current registrant has our full privacy and protection service. Our Domain Broker Service is the service you would purchase if you wanted us to negotiate the purchase of a domain. 

If you believe that the domain in question was not listed for sale, this can be proved or disproven by looking at the order history of your account. A premium listing will appear as a $0.00 transaction and the receipt details will show that the transaction is for a premium listing. If you can not find a receipt showing your premium listing, I would suggest bringing this information to our customer care team for further review. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JesseW
Community Manager

Hi @davidvsgol7  - It seems like there is definitely some confusion regarding what occurred with your domain. We would never sell a customers domain without their approval. The only mechanism we have in place to sell domains that are in customer accounts is our List for Sale service (formerly premium domains). Afternic manages this service, and that's why it would appear that they sold the domain. However, this would only take place if a domain had been listed for sale by its registrant. 

As for the domain WHOIS showing Domain Broker Service, I'm guessing maybe you're referring to our Domains By Proxy service. That would show on the WHOIS information if the current registrant has our full privacy and protection service. Our Domain Broker Service is the service you would purchase if you wanted us to negotiate the purchase of a domain. 

If you believe that the domain in question was not listed for sale, this can be proved or disproven by looking at the order history of your account. A premium listing will appear as a $0.00 transaction and the receipt details will show that the transaction is for a premium listing. If you can not find a receipt showing your premium listing, I would suggest bringing this information to our customer care team for further review. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.

View solution in original post