cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

GoDaddy will not refund domains renewed twice

GoDaddy will not issue me a refund for accidentally renewing my domains twice within a span of 1 minutes time. Thus, I was charged twice for the use of 1 set of domains. Effectively, GoDaddy has taken $241.70 from me and has provided nothing in return.

Hoping this helps others avoid the same situation, so here's how they get you:

Instead of rerouting the customer to a new page after the their purchase/renewal, they keep them on the same page, thus it appears that the initial attempt to buy was not successful. At which point, the "Buy" button can be clicked again, and again, and each time a charge is made to the customer's bank account. Nothing is provided to the customer for each subsequent charge; an action which legal definitions of stealing.

I've yet to come across another billing platform that charges the customer each time the "Buy" button is clicked. Such a feature would be considered a "bug" in any other company's code. In the case of GoDaddy, this, instead, appears to be an actively malicious, explicitly planned strategy.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Re: GoDaddy will not refund domains renewed twice

@James15 

While I understand your frustration, I'm sure if you contact GoDaddy they'll be more than happy to issue a refund if you were charged multiple times for the same domain. Just give them a call or go to a live chat, explain the situation, and I'm sure they'll help you out. 

And no, there's no "malicious" intent behind this. I've never been able to do this and I can't replicate it now, so I'm not sure how you managed to do it. Sounds like a bug, not a conspiracy theory.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hi MrVapor,

I contacted GoDaddy support as well as their billing department, and was refused a refund in both cases.

Please see the attached images of the chat I had with GoDaddy support where the agent explains the reason I cannot be refunded. 

Also, you would have to actually renew a domain to be able to replicate the issue, so I'm not sure that you followed though completely with testing.

Screen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.06.40 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-08 at 7.07.11 PM.png

Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Hi @James15. Thanks for posting. I can understand how this would be a frustrating situation. Typically, when a renewal is processed, the paged is automatically redirected to another page that shows the order confirmation. I haven't heard of this not happening to anyone before, so it may just have been a glitch or perhaps something that blocked the redirect in your browser. However, I can confirm that what @MrVapor said about the behavior of the website not being intentional or malicious in any way. 

While a refund for domain registrations is usually possible, this is generally only offered in cases where the registrations are canceled. Refunds for additional years of registration for active domains are not available. However, please keep in mind that if you do renew a domain more than once, it will extend the registration time of the domain appropriately, so you do get something from the money that was spent. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.