cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Injustice to charge the huge fees for recover backup data of my website

Dear Sir,

I am regular customer of Go Daddy since last 2 years. I own more than 100 domains on . I am getting Very Dissatisfied experience from Go Daddy hosting plan since last 2 days. It takes 500 Rs. to buy the domain, quiet nice. 1000 Rs. to host it. But, imagine how you will feel when 4999 Rs. asked to pay by Go Daddy to give or recover backup data of my website hosted on Go Daddy. 
Mr.Go Daddy, is this your support to small businesses and entrepreneurs ?  
Sir, would You, Please look in to it ! 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Re: Injustice to charge the huge fees for recover backup data of my website

Hello @ArvindSurya!

Welcome to the community! Thank you for your feedback. We don't maintain a backup of your site files. If you haven't maintained one, we may be able to pull your site files from temporary server snapshots. This is a process that requires a person to pull raw data from the server, make sense of it and put it back together in your hosting account. This is the reason for the fee. This is why we suggest that you keep your own backup that you can restore at any time.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Advocate VII Advocate VII
Advocate VII

Hi @ArvindSurya,

I've been a website owner for 20 years and if there is truly one thing I've learned is the responsibility for any data that I put on my website is mine. Period. 

Every good hosting service on the planet provides means of backing up a site.  You choose how you want to accomplish the task.  For example if you have a WordPress site on managed wp hosting you can use GoDaddy's free backup that makes a local backup at GoDaddy.  This backup can be restored by you at any time.  You can also use a backup plugin that saves to a remote server (UpDraftPlus - for $145 you can get an unlimited site license or $70 for a basic license!)  Pair UpDraftPlus with a OneDrive, GoogleDrive, DropBox, or Rackspace account an you have an incredibly inexpensive, but comprehensive backup/restore system.

If you have cPanel, there are backup utilities built right into the dashboard.  You have to take the time to configure these settings and you can get both your files and db's backed up.  This too, is a low/no cost solution.  Once again the use of a cloud storage server can really help keep costs down.

Another option for your files (not db's) is to use a program like ws-ftp that has a scheduler in it and you can automatically download your files to your computer on a scheduled basis.

In the event that you want someone or some service to handle the backups for you data, please keep in mind this entails them becoming "custodians of the data."  When this responsibility is assumed, it's a huge one.  The company is trusted to keeping your backups secure, available, properly archived, and maintained as specified in your agreement.  Just the insurance that's required to do this is pretty doggone expensive.  I think its more than fair to expect to have to pay for someone securing the most valuable part of your site -- your content.

If you need some help on finding a backup solution that fits your needs, let us know so we can help you!

Hope this helps,

James

Not Just Pretty Sites, Pretty Doggone Smart Sites
Highlighted
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hello @ArvindSurya!

Welcome to the community! Thank you for your feedback. We don't maintain a backup of your site files. If you haven't maintained one, we may be able to pull your site files from temporary server snapshots. This is a process that requires a person to pull raw data from the server, make sense of it and put it back together in your hosting account. This is the reason for the fee. This is why we suggest that you keep your own backup that you can restore at any time.

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Highlighted

hey arvindsurya,

my hosting expires and unfortunately all got deleted. im not sure about the policy of expiration if it is "the day of said expiration" or "after the day" itself. i asked if theres anything we can do, they offered restoration service, so i paid for the expert service to restore files, they said no guarantee of getting all of it, so i tried their "EXPERT" service, im surprised that the "EXPERT" service recovered century old files and databases! its fine if it is a week or a month old file. but not century old files! who needed that? how do you offer such service then you will give the client rubbish? and question is how did godaddy saved old files but nothing from the latest? its a question of common sense OR they just want to robbed people. yes i agree this is not just.

Highlighted

It took customer support less than 10 minutes to perform the task, after GoDaddy screwed up the order, and failed to restore my site for over 2 weeks. Why should it cost $150 to drag some files over?  Literally less than 10 minutes of effort? I say GoDaddy is screwing the customer.

Greg

Highlighted

Agree. This made me want to switch. 

They used to offer restoration of data for free; it didn't seem like a big deal a few years back.

Besides, customer support is to help people with technical stuff and paying 5k for a job that takes them 10 mins is insane. 

Highlighted

We are using Shopify as our site platform. We registered the domain with GoDaddy and use them to mask the domain. To do this you need a basic hosting account. It seems our experience is similar to others here. We were charged a 200 $ US restoration fee. At the time when our site was down for non payment of hosting. I agreed to the recommended course of action of "site restoration" to make our site live again. After this agreement GoDaddy said it would take 24-72 hrs to recover site files. My question is why are there any files to recover in the first place? The site and files are completely managed in the Shopify environment. We only need Godaddy to provide the masking so we do not have the Shopify xxxxx.myshopify.com domain publicly visible.  After the call I simply opened the Shopify app and repointed the site to the Shopify domain and our site was back up in minutes. I pointed back to Godaddy when our hosting was reactivated. I then asked why they recommended a site restoration. They claimed there were files there. I found 6 MB of useless files. Almost are all graphic elements of our theme. None of which I placed or uploaded. The same kind of files that save on your browser when visiting sites. In other words a whole lot of nothing. I thought the restore was some sort of subscription lapse penalty. The whole thing felt a bit shady. They also have no intentions of refunding the restore fee. Watch out for recommendations and take the time to understand what it is they are offering. All will claim to not have technical knowledge when questioning the billing. Not a bad service on the whole, but what I experienced seemed predatory and well rehearsed.   

Highlighted

Highlighted

same thing  happened with me, go daddy sucks ,  wont be choosing go daddy ever in my life again