cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple problems with automatic renewals and refunds

Godaddy is an absolutely scam.

I just had two domains renew automatically, which stated that that they would automatically renew on the 12th of July. The domains renewed early in the morning on the 12th, godaddy gave absolutely no time indication at all as to when when they would be renewed on the 12th. However, you would expect that you would be given the day to cancel considering you still own the domain until the 12th. That means it’s my domain until midnight on the 12th. I paid for that whole day initially.

Anyway, despite this I switched off Auto renewal earlier in the month. The client asked me to cancel the domains and I did it straight away. A failure in their system meant that the domains remained in ‘auto renew’ mode, unbeknownst to me.

The 2 domains renewed and mere seconds after it had I called support to let them know that I don’t want the domain and that they shouldn’t have auto renewed.

In classic Godaddy scam style they said they’d have to ‘submit a refund request’ unless of course I wanted to renew an email hosting I have and they’d ‘discount’ it off that immediately. So, hang on a second... are you refunding me or aren’t you? By offering me a refund to a product you’re admitting that you’re in the wrong, yet you won’t refund to my card you’ll just refund me if I renew another product with you. This kind of business operation makes me absolutely sick. When you call their ‘support’ team, it’s always the same. Any issue you have they turn it around in some way to get you to renew something with them as if they’re doing you a favour. I see through your BS godaddy, it’s a scam on an unbelievable scale.

Did you know godaddy don’t have a complaints department? A company that size with no complaints department. Interesting. It’s funny how other large companies like o2 can have one. Godaddy are only interested in you when they’re rinsing you for every penny you have. If they make a decision on something, you’re powerless.

I’ve had a similar situation before with a website hosting. The hosting expired despite auto renew being set to ‘on’ . They charged me £150 to recover the website files. They reckoned the charge was for someone to ‘manually retrieve the files’ which can take
someone “up to a 2 hours of work to do achieve”. Literally 2 minutes after I’d paid, it was all back in my account. So they were just lying to my face.

I tried to complain at the time, I said how I’d spent literally thousands of pounds with them (which I have, around £4-5k) and I’d like a refund on the renewal for their mistake. The guys I spoke to on the phone (over 4 people) all said no and I said to one of them “I’ve spent 5 years as a customer with you, spending thousands and you’re going to lose all my
business (thousands in hosting) over £150?” . His reply was “we’d be happy to lose you as a customer, godaddy are doing well so go elsewhere”.

Where do you go to complain about this? Nowhere is the answer . You’re absolutely powerless because they have no complaints department. They can do what they want because they’re so big, losing me as a customer is nothing to them.

Once I’d paid a ton of money to them, I was made to feel like an absolute piece of dirt and these are the true colours of godaddy.

No refund on my domains which was their error. No refund on that hosting which was then error. I’ve spent thousands on Godaddy, I asked them to refund me on £180 in total across these two issues. The last one was £30.

They would rather lose me as a customer than offer me a refund on these, despite being a customer for 5/6 years. Where is the customer service? There isn’t any.

7 REPLIES 7
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Multiple problems with automatic renewals and refunds

@Samtlg95 

I understand your frustration and this sounds like a lack of knowledge on both your end and perhaps the agents you dealt with as well. I can tell you from experience that calling in angry doesn't help at all. So, let's break this all down and see what we can do to help.

• GoDaddy said the domains would renew on the 12th. They renewed on the 12th. It's an automated system that renews thousands and thousands of products a day in millions of user accounts. It sounds like the system worked exactly how it's expected to work.
  • If the auto-renew didn't cancel when you changed it via account management, then this is definitely something that should have been addressed. It sounds like you did everything right on your end.
    • That being said, it must be remembered that GoDaddy is a business and it is the responsibility of the people you call to try to turn cancellations into positive profit. So, it's the representative's responsibility to their employer to offer alternatives. This is how people pay their bills after all. They aren't servants. 
    • If they didn't offer you a refund after rejecting the alternative suggestions, then that is incorrect and should be dealt with. You can rectify that type of situation by being polite and requesting a supervisor to speak with.
    • Please keep in mind that the people you talk to have a job to do. Let them do their job and help. You're not under any obligation to purchase anything they offer but they still have to offer it or they will lose their job and their ability to feed their family.
  • GoDaddy absolutely does have a complaints department. Supervisors are on staff to take any complaints you may have and they have a department internally that monitors the phones for quality control purposes. There is a strict process they follow internally.
  • Regarding having to pay for a hosting restore after you let the hosting payment lapse, this is more than just a convenience fee for having someone restore your site. Those backups are maintained on emergency backup servers that in no way generate revenue. They are there in case GoDaddy messes something up, not the end user. The website owner is responsible for maintaining their own backup. The restoration fee wouldn't be necessary if web admins simply followed good standard practices.
  • GoDaddy absolutely doesn't want to lose you as a customer, however it seems you have some misconceptions as to what GoDaddy owes you as a customer. Yes, they want to provide the best quality services to you but that comes at a cost. Yes, they want to provide the best customer service to you but you have to let the people they pay do their jobs. Yes, they absolutely want you to be treated fairly by their employees, so if you have issues you should talk to a supervisor and get them resolved. There are avenues to ensure these things happen and it sounds like maybe you didn't know them.

I would call back, calmly explain the situation, don't get frustrated, and if they don't resolve the issue in a way you feel is correct, ask for a supervisor and try to hash it out. There's literally nothing the volunteers on the forum here can do to rectify this other than offer you advice when it comes to account management issues.

I do think if you call back in you can probably get this resolved and remain a happy customer. I hope it works out for you and good luck!

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thanks for the reply,

Firstly I’d like to point out that I never called in angry, and have never been angry on the phone with any of the operators. I’ve been a customer with godaddy for over 5/6 years and I am a professional website designer. I’ve made many calls with godaddy over this time.

The renewal was set to the 12th because I paid for the domain until the 12th. The 12th means that I own the domain until the 12th, which really should be midnight and if it’s not going to be, they need to make that more clear. However, I understand that because there’s no clarity surrounding this point that it’s fair enough to not make an issue of this aspect.

“You can rectify that type of situation by being polite and requesting a supervisor to speak with.” I’ve only ever been polite with operators. In fact, they have been rude to me saying things like “if you don’t like it, go elsewhere” . Is this the right way to treat a customer? Where does this show up in customer service 101?

Unfortunately, godaddy don’t have a complaints department. In fact, when asked ‘do you have a complaints department?’, they responded ‘no’ to me on numerous attempts. So this is from the horses mouth. Also, I asked if anyone has the power to do a refund, no one at their office apparently does according to them. They actually said I’d have to contact head office about this, which they suggested not doing because I wouldn’t get a reply (over £150 haha).

I asked them a direct question. I said “would you rather lose me as a customer spending thousands over this small amount and they replied “yes”. If I had a customer spending such large amounts with me in my business, I’d be inclined to offer a gesture of good will on occasion. Unfortunately, because there’s no complaints department it’s always godaddy who make the decisions. When it’s my word against there’s, who’s on the side of the customer? Not godaddy, that’s for sure.

The website lapsed because of an error on their side. I spend thousands with them, I wouldn’t argue these small amounts if I wasn’t being truthful. So when it comes down to my word against theirs, where is the good will? Why are they in the right and I’m not? The customer should always come first.

I spent 6 hours on the phone with them over the hosting, they beat me down passing me from person to person. Constant contradictions , passing me from
US office to Ireland etc. I literally can’t put myself through that again, it actually caused me significant stress on that day. I might add that on every single call, they tried to get me to renew something, it was always the focus for them.

They’re a brick wall company (I.e customers are powerless) & they only care about profits.

It’s not like it’s just me saying this too, Take a look at the trip advisor, they’re rated terrible.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.godaddy.com

Just to add to that, I’ve spoken to many supervisors on this. The lower-level staff actually advise against speaking to supervisors because they just say the same thing anyway. Which is true, as I’ve spoken to lots.

Its crazy to me how if these decisions are so concrete, why they don’t just automate it all . The supervisor I spoke to was literally letting a customer spending £4K+ per year go over a £150 dispute. I told him I would move everything away and that’s exactly what I did, the only thing I have left with godaddy is domains now. So their loss! Much happier with my new provider, they apply common sense to decisions & actually try to help when something goes wrong.

It really shows how they have so many customers that they’ve completely lost sight of how to treat them. It’s a toxic culture, masked with a facade of ‘friendly customer service’ . Once you scratch off the surface, what’s underneath is absolute rubbish.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@Samtlg95 

I can't say I've ever experienced your situation. I was a customer for 7 years before I worked at GoDaddy and I'm a customer now, even though I no longer work there. I've never had these issues, either with customers personally or as a customer. I've always gotten the help I've needed (and tried to give it) when dealing with support.

I'm sorry you're having that kind of experience.

Check out my site! | I drink and I know things. Especially about websites and web hosting.
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Super User III
Super User III

I would also say that the old saying, "The customer is always right," is a just not correct. Often times, the customer is misinformed, didn't bother reading Terms of Service, or any number of other things. I'm not saying this is your case but it's often true.

I felt like I was having a good experience too for a long time. I was absolutely shocked by this whole experience, for all the reasons I’ve mentioned above.

I agree the customer isn’t always right, however, as a business owner myself I know when a customer is in the right. And in this case I am. I’m really conscious of being a good customer because I deal with customers of my own daily & I know what it can be like.

My business isn’t small either, so I understand what it’s like managing customers even on a larger scale. Obviously not to the extent godaddy does, but there should be conditions in place to handle this kind of situation.

Simply telling the customer “oh you must have done it wrong”, where is the common sense approach. Surely, that’s the whole point in having real people &
not computers.

I explained in length to them *with evidence* the reasons why I was not incorrect about the hosting renewal. Yet, they have the power to say no, no matter how good it is. Really, this should be mediated externally because otherwise it’s their way or the high way and godaddy are very refund averse. On more than 3 occasions over 6 years despite specifically requesting a refund to the card, they’ll do it as credit. It’s just little sneaky tactics like this which all add to the culture within godaddy.

With the domains, I clicked 3 times to switch off auto renew prior to the expiry. It even gave me the ‘confirmed’ message it gives. So it wasn’t my connection. Their site is so buggy it’s obviously errored out. Even writing this message to you I have ‘sorry, unable to
complete the action requested’ in red above. It’s just a mess of a site.

So yeah, they’ve taken my hosting money, they’ve taken my domain money. I’m £180 down. I’ve reached out to them via phone, Facebook & live chat. I guess they’re keeping my hard earned money for themselves and even though I’m not in the wrong there’s nothing I can do about it. I work 16 hour days, but hopefully they can put it towards some jam roly polys for their next advert where they get people in with a £1 site then tear the backside out of the account when it renews a year later.

I’m not pursuing this for the financial
gain by the way. £180 isn’t going to break the bank, but it’s the principle & injustice that’s bugging me.