Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Wednesday, July 28th at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
stamic55
New

My CC info updated, so auto-renewal was processed

I had not updated my CC infomation since my card expired last year.  Some renewals were coming up and I continued to get emails about CC info out of date.  Five days later I got charged.  I checked my CC info and it had been updated somehow with my new expiration date.  I did not change it and I did not want to auto renew.  Does this constitute as fraud by GoDaddy?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
PL281
Super User IV

@stamic55 

I am an end user and can't speak to your question from GoDaddy's perspective. However as a business owner, I use Authorize.net for my credit card processing and they offer a feature to automatically check once a month for an updates to expiration dates, cancelled cards a few other things for memorized cards - which then allows me to continue charging.

I happen to run them manually but they could be set up on auto-renewal.

My personal feeling is that you had the items set to auto-renew vs cancel - I see nothing wrong with this - also depending on the product and renewal length you maybe within the refund window

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

PL281
Super User IV

@stamic55 

Here is some additional information about the auto expiration update from GoDaddy

https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-credit-card-account-updater-programs-7334

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

@stamic55  This is not uncommon with reoccurring billing for services like utilities, internet, phone, streaming, etc.  As long as the CC info was good when the service was started and they have no indication of it being illegitimate, this process is to help avoid service interruption.  So it is a good idea to cancel auto-renew ahead of time, or you can go ahead and delete a product from your account if you have no use for it to avoid renewal notifications.

Make sure to contact support with your user ID and PIN handy to process a refund if you did not intend to renew.

4 REPLIES 4
PL281
Super User IV

@stamic55 

I am an end user and can't speak to your question from GoDaddy's perspective. However as a business owner, I use Authorize.net for my credit card processing and they offer a feature to automatically check once a month for an updates to expiration dates, cancelled cards a few other things for memorized cards - which then allows me to continue charging.

I happen to run them manually but they could be set up on auto-renewal.

My personal feeling is that you had the items set to auto-renew vs cancel - I see nothing wrong with this - also depending on the product and renewal length you maybe within the refund window

PL281
Super User IV

@stamic55 

Here is some additional information about the auto expiration update from GoDaddy

https://www.godaddy.com/help/about-credit-card-account-updater-programs-7334

@PL281 

Thanks for the info.  I had no idea that process could happen.  I don't like it, but it's good to know for the future.

@stamic55  This is not uncommon with reoccurring billing for services like utilities, internet, phone, streaming, etc.  As long as the CC info was good when the service was started and they have no indication of it being illegitimate, this process is to help avoid service interruption.  So it is a good idea to cancel auto-renew ahead of time, or you can go ahead and delete a product from your account if you have no use for it to avoid renewal notifications.

Make sure to contact support with your user ID and PIN handy to process a refund if you did not intend to renew.