cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Someone else is trying to log into my account

I have 2 factor verification turned on for my account. I keep receiving texts as though someone is logging in as me. I've changed my password twice using a secure password generator, but it still keeps happening.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User 2020

@angeljs 

A long as you have precautions in place you should be good. Two factor authentication is one way to do that.

Most would be surprised at how often there are attempts to test the vulnerability of their website.  Bots are constantly poking around and add to that nefarious netizens with too much time on their hands and the fact is it is ongoing.

Especially with all the database compromises "out there".  Some we know about, and IMNHO, many we do not, gets your usernames and passwords exposed to those who will try and use that info.

So don't worry to much about attempts.  That's never going to stop.  Two factor and other measure are in place to stop that -- which appears to be happening.

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"No guts, no story." ~ Chris Brady

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User 2020

@angeljs 

A long as you have precautions in place you should be good. Two factor authentication is one way to do that.

Most would be surprised at how often there are attempts to test the vulnerability of their website.  Bots are constantly poking around and add to that nefarious netizens with too much time on their hands and the fact is it is ongoing.

Especially with all the database compromises "out there".  Some we know about, and IMNHO, many we do not, gets your usernames and passwords exposed to those who will try and use that info.

So don't worry to much about attempts.  That's never going to stop.  Two factor and other measure are in place to stop that -- which appears to be happening.

Does that help? 😉

Judith
"No guts, no story." ~ Chris Brady

View solution in original post

Hi @angeljs,

Welcome to the Community!

It's great to read that you have 2-step authentication on your account. This security feature is doing its job, and - as long as those attempting access don't have the phone number on file - they will not be able to break into your account. The previous reply from @Muse is correct, and changing your password and PIN is a good idea as well. 

That said, I'm adding this to alert you to be aware of changing your email password as well (for the email address on file). Having access to your email is usually how intruders are able to reset passwords, get to the 2-step screen, and attempt to access a customer's account. As long as you do not remove the 2-step, you're fine, but protect your email address as well.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support