cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Tired of Misleading Domain Messages

I have been with GD for about 20 years. Long enough to be a reseller that helped them grow large enough to begin offering web hosting and competing unfairly with me. Over the years I've seen their misleading emails but todays beats the cake.

YOUR PAYMENT METHOD IS MISSING OR EXPIRES SOON.

Notices for most of my domains telling me that no credit card was on file for renewal or expired. Clicking on Update Your Payment showed all of my domains with a valid credit card attached -- but a RENEW NOW button as well.

How does this relate to domain management? STOP TRYING TO SCARING CUSTOMERS INTO RENEWING EARLY! Your "Billing/Tech Support" had no answer and claimed to know nothing of the email.

Would you like to see how quickly I cancel my reseller account and transfer to eNom?

10 REPLIES 10
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Tired of Misleading Domain Messages

Hi @KrazyBob. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We appreciate your feedback and for being a customer with us for that long. Please know that none of the messages that we send are intended to scare or mislead anyone. We do (and have for many years) let customers know their domains are expiring starting 90 days before expiration. While I can see why you may feel like that's early, we like to give customers a sufficient amount of time to decide whether or not they want to keep domains or let them go. For as many times as I've seen similar feedback on renewal notices too early/often, I've seen just as many (if not more) say they missed the notices all together and lost their domains. Obviously, we'd rather err on the side of caution and notify too early if it can help customers avoid that situation. 

However, I'm not sure why you'd be getting a message about missing payment methods if all of your products were in fact up to renew. It's possible that the messages used the wrong template. I will make sure to pass on your feedback appropriately though. Thank you again. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: Tired of Misleading Domain Messages/?isc=gdcommment

Your history of misleading advertising precedes you. You don't send someone
a message telling them that their billing method is about to expire and
they're about to lose their domain when the billing method doesn't expire
for 18 months. Show some respect and let's not tap dance with one another.
My complaint is not the first on this very same topic. It's convenient that
when you click the button as recommended by the email there's a Renew Now
button sitting right there reminding you did she want to be safe and not
lose your domain. Once you're logged in and it shows you a list of your
demands the last four digits of the credit card that you know is good until
2021. Please don't make this worse with sweet talk. The dance is over and I
may not be going home with you much longer.

Sorry for the speech to text errors. I think most will be able to understand what I was saying because they probably seen the messages themselves.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KrazyBob - I was able to confirm with our email team that the type of messages you got regarding missing/expired payment methods is something that isn't functioning as intended and will be fixed as soon as possible. 

I'm not sure which page the email is linking to, but our renewals page has had a "renew now" button on it (as well as others) for quite a while. This is simply for convenience. This page is a logical spot to take customers as it has all of their products and lists their expiration date and payment method. However, again, we do appreciate your feedback. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

The landing page is a list of all one's domains showing the last 4 digits
of the credit card used in the expiration date of the domain. It also tells
you that your credit card is expired or about to expire implying that you
are about to lose your domain.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@KrazyBob - Would you be able to provide a screenshot of the page in question (feel free to block out any sensitive information)? The link from the email would be helpful as well if you still have it. 

NONE of the domains (many) were missing a payment method, ALL were setup on auto-renew, and most were not renewing for quite some time. This all amounts to scare tactics. Are you going to try and tell me and others that this isn't just some way to scare novice domain owners to hurry up and renew or risk losing their domain? DON'T DARE try to spin this on me!

godaddy-a.jpggodaddy.jpg

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @KrazyBob

Are you going to try and tell me and others that this isn't just some way to scare novice domain owners to hurry up and renew or risk losing their domain?

Correct. This isn't something we're doing intentionally. There is a problem with the way our email system sees the payment information for some customers. This is why emails like the one above are sometimes going out in circumstances where they wouldn't otherwise be sent. I'm not trying to spin anything. 

I sincerely mean no disrespect. Truly I don't. But those of us that have been reseller for GoDaddy for 20 years find it difficult to accept your reply. There's always some kind of "reason" why something is happening that shouldn't be and the something that is happening seems always to be related to creating urgency to renew domains that aren't even ready to be renewed. Or to keep a current payment method on file which may actually have a legitimate reason for auto renewals. Have to flip a coin on that one.

Once again with no disrespect intended, you may close this but I don't accept the solution.