cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Upgrade system confusing - upgrades not refundable

Why does godaddy's product upgrade system work so poorly?  After more than a decade I decide it was time to upgrade from Deluxe hosting to Ultimate hosting.  I paid the difference.  I then realized that this did not produce the intended effect.  So I tried to downgrade service to see if I could get a refund.  I saw that downgrading would not produce a refund and would in fact cost even more, so I cancelled the downgrade (i.e. deletedit from the shopping cart).  I'll just stick with what I've paid for.  It downgraded me anyway.  So now I've paid for Ultimate but am signed up for Economy.  Surely customer support can fix this for me.  I'd be happy with being refunded and restored to Deluxe or alternatively keep my money and give me the Ultimate for which I paid.  Nope.  Customer service can do neither of these.  Despite being a customer for more than a decade there is nothing they can do for me.  So I've cancelled my service.

4 REPLIES 4
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Upgrade system confusing - upgrades not refundable

Thanks for sharing your issue, @bowood. I'm sorry you found it difficult to upgrade. Upgrades are typically refundable if they are reversed (downgraded) within 24 hours. If that is what happened in your case, you should definitely be able to get a refund. If the account was not canceled, our care team definitely should have been able to help you get back to your previous tier as well. I will be sure to pass on your feedback. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

The support representative was quite insistent that none of these were options:

1. I could not be marked as Ultimate despite having paid for it unless I paid another $57

2. I could not be marked as Deluxe (my prior setup) with a refund.

3. I could not be marked as Deluxe without a refund

The only option was to be listed as Economy despite having paid for Ultimate.  After 14 years of service I explained that this was a poor way to treat a customer and I would take my business elsewhere.  To this I was only reminded of the hardship of moving.  This hardship turned out to be 15 minutes of backup, transfer, and restore to a new provider.  I've filed a refund with my credit card company.  Unreal to be treated this way.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@bowood I understand that that was your experience. However, I can say for sure that it is possible for a supervisor to find a way to get your account back to a previous tier if you've accidentally downgraded beyond what you wanted and, as I've said, upgrades are refundable within 24 hours of purchase. I know that knowledge doesn't help your situation and I'm really very sad to hear you've moved on. However, regardless of the information the agent provided you with, what I've said above is correct according to our policies. I truly wish the situation had turned out differently for you and I wish you good luck with your new provider. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Solution

It may be possible, but it was not something the supervisor involved was willing to do for me.  There must be a difference between what is possible and what is actually available to a customer of 14 years.  The well rehearsed threat of hardship made it clear to me that this was not an unusual circumstance.  If it is indeed unusual than the support representatives and supervisors are in need of retraining.