cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Warning! Prevent disabling your account email

I received an email this morning headed "Prevent disabling your account".  It said I had 3331 directories and might prove a performance risk and had some links to click (which I didn't). It came from a domain ending in boomarkroyal.com.  Since it wasn't Go Daddy, I think that clicking the links would have been dangerous to my computer.  I'm posting this to make the information available to others in the community.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User 2020

Sounds like a typical phishing scam so you were correct to not click on the link.   Good catch!

Most times you can mouse-over the links to see that it goes to a domain that is clearly setup for trickery. 

That's why you never click on an email that doesn't makes sense, that you did not expect or that is attempting to play on your emotions to get you to click on the link within.

I wrote an article about these tactics on one of my blogs: Nefarious Business Email Tactics

Judith
"No guts, no story." ~ Chris Brady

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User 2020

Sounds like a typical phishing scam so you were correct to not click on the link.   Good catch!

Most times you can mouse-over the links to see that it goes to a domain that is clearly setup for trickery. 

That's why you never click on an email that doesn't makes sense, that you did not expect or that is attempting to play on your emotions to get you to click on the link within.

I wrote an article about these tactics on one of my blogs: Nefarious Business Email Tactics

Judith
"No guts, no story." ~ Chris Brady

View solution in original post

I have had random calls from time to time trying the subpoena tactic. The first time I was concerned, then I got an app for $.149 a month that tells me if it's a scammer and other useful stuff and allows me to file complaints. It's the best buck and a half I spend a month and it's worth every penny!  It's called CallDectector and I've used it now for several years with no complaints at all.  Also, the first year I had it I only used their free version and loved it so much I sub'd. No connection other than I'm a fan and thought I'd share.

Kudos!

Reeah.