cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
NE4785
Novice

Website posting false information

A website that's being hosted by GoDaddy is posting false information about me. I've tried to contact the website owner and he won't respond or remove the false information. I did a WHOIS on the site and it's being hosted by GoDaddy, how can I file a formal complaint about this website? Is there anyway you could remove the false information?

6 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor

Re: Website posting false information

When you say "false information about me" are you referring to opinion based information or something that can be proven false and is perhaps defamatory @NE4785? If is something like your specific website is bad or that you don't give the best service that is probably something that is not actionable. If there is something like you were in jail in Portland then that is likely actionable (providing that is indeed false). Opinions are okay and facts are fine but anything else might be libel. Your options actually depend on what your complaint is. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

NE4785
Novice

The website is a people search website (aka data broker) and the information they have was removed many years ago from other data brokers. They also have a removal procedure but it's fake because they don't respond to any email. They are located in India but the host is GoDaddy. Here's the link to the website:

https://names-data.com/

So you're saying that there is information on a data site that is false as in it has a phone number posted that is not yours? That doesn't exactly sound bad to me? A lot of those websites scrub data from public websites and then attempt to sale access to what is public information.

I don't see how any of that kind of information is a issue to you, especially if it is false? Perhaps I am misreading the situation? One thing I'd actually advice against is going through the reporting process as that no doubt gives them more information about you than they might ordinarily have.

No need for me to visit that website, I know the type. 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

NE4785
Novice

The information the site has was removed from the internet many years ago and reported to the authorities (it was linked to ID theft / online harassment). It's very shady that the website owner doesn't respond but he has a removal process. I just wanted to know if GoDaddy can remove it?

I don't plan on giving them any personal info to remove it because I suspect it could be phishing website.

Solution

The make of the internet is that nothing is ever really removed. In your case it does not sound like the information was removed? When I say don't give them anymore information I mean that the removal procedure might require you to confirm your identity. Additionally you'd need an email address for contact our something? Just be careful. I don't imagine that a handful of complaints would cause action from a host company but certainly there is a threshold. You can get information from ICANN About Spam, Phishing & Website Content. I hope that helps? 

NE4785
Novice

I didn't mean not to use email, what I meant is not to give out any information that could lead to ID theft. I find the website is very suspicious because it appeared online about a year ago (they also have other similar sites with different hosts), it's located overseas, they don't answer emails, and the information they have was delete years ago. Also, various data broker's have been hacked into in the last few years. This all raises red flags for me.

Either way, thank you for your help and  the links. I'll be submitting my complaints to them and other law enforcement agencies (in the US and India).