cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
John11
New

changing renewal terms is so difficult

Why is it so extremely difficult to learn how to lower the pre-determined renewal term without having to check out?  I have spent 10 minutes on this and it is extremely counterintuitive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TLH

Hi @John11,

Welcome to the Community!

Changes to the renewal term are triggered by manual renewal adjustments. If you wish to move your hosting from a yearly billing to monthly (or monthly to yearly), you would need to manually renew the hosting prior to expiration to your choice of term. Future auto-renewals will then follow that directive. 

Domains auto-renew for the same period of time as their most recent renewal, so if you renewed the domain for two years the last cycle, it will renew again for the same two year term, unless you step in and change that term with a manual renewal prior to expiration.

For example, if you registered your domain on 1/1/2016 for 5 years, it will auto-renew in 2021 for another 5 years (until 2026). However, if you manually renew the domain in December of 2020 for 2 years, it will auto renew again for only 2 years in 2022. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TLH

Hi @John11,

Welcome to the Community!

Changes to the renewal term are triggered by manual renewal adjustments. If you wish to move your hosting from a yearly billing to monthly (or monthly to yearly), you would need to manually renew the hosting prior to expiration to your choice of term. Future auto-renewals will then follow that directive. 

Domains auto-renew for the same period of time as their most recent renewal, so if you renewed the domain for two years the last cycle, it will renew again for the same two year term, unless you step in and change that term with a manual renewal prior to expiration.

For example, if you registered your domain on 1/1/2016 for 5 years, it will auto-renew in 2021 for another 5 years (until 2026). However, if you manually renew the domain in December of 2020 for 2 years, it will auto renew again for only 2 years in 2022. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

View solution in original post

I appreciate your responding and responding quickly, but I must tell you that I spent at least 20 minutes with one of your technical staff, and he learned that none of this can actually be accomplished.  There is no way to manually change the pre-determined renewal term short of canceling and immediately purchasing a different renewal term.  If you can provide the actual steps to demonstrate that your suggestion actually works, I would be willing to try it.  Your tech support could not demonstrate any of this at all.

I regret that this was not solved at all; the solution cannot be implemented.