cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
amamanta
Getting Started

unauthorized transfer of my domain by Godaddy

GoDaddy transferred my domain where I have been conducting business since 2006 (hosted, renewed and paid till 2019) to my supplier without my authorization, consent or even a call on 5/26/17.  Now undo and review@godaddy.com tell me that I have to initiate an arbitration or court lawsuit for them to give it back to me.   Domain is Amamantafamily.com and my supplier Mrs. Margarita Mesa Leal has a company in Colombia with similar name, (obviously she used that as reason). She is a thief, she never ever had any contribution, payment or control over my business of selling her dolls in over the 12 yrs of operation. Plus I had e-com CC payment processing on domain site that is tied to my name, my business bank account and my taxes for all those yrs. and I think that GoDaddy is the negligent in giving it away:  Undo and review do not want to respond as per what documents they review to transfer out my domain and just tell me to go to arbitration. Is there anything thing I can w Godaddy? Is there someone that could even answer my call?  review@godaddy just send me automatic emails saying the same. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
T-3D
Former Employee

Greetings @krwilliams and everyone.

I can't speak to the specifics in this situation (and it appears to go back some time) but let me discuss this generally, if I may. I understand you have a valid concern and we appreciate your long customer history as you have shared it. I cannot discuss domain history in a public forum, but in most cases, registrars are obligated to assist the registrant of record regardless of account or payment history and it must be done in a timely manner.

However, you may have identified in your post the primary reason we, as a registrar, most likely cannot assist you. This appears to be a dispute between you and another party you know or have done business with (a supplier). Such changes made or initiated by a business partner, former employee, or other known parties are domain disputes, not hijackings. ICANN prohibits registrars, including GoDaddy, from becoming involved in domain disputes.

While this may appear to render us uncooperative, there is a solid reason behind it. Let's say for example, someone took something else you had, let's say your car. While you might notify the motor vehicle (registration) office, you would not expect them to take an active enforcement role. That role is for the authorities and the courts. This is why we (or any registrar) can only take action when we receive a court order or decision from an ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy ("UDRP") panel. I know it is frustrating to not be able to obtain an immediate resolution, but this is the path the registration authorities have identified through a long history of experience.

With all this in mind, you should continue to refer your attorney to the "Legal" section at the bottom of our home page. That is the fastest and most effective approach to resolving this.

I hope that helps somewhat, or at least increases the understanding of the "why" behind what you may have heard...

With best regards,

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
TechFly
Employee

Hi @amamanta

Thank you for your post and sorry to hear about the situation. There are a couple things I would like to touch base on.

Firstly, domain transfers and account changes require direct access to the domain to obtain the authorization code or initiate the change of account for the domain. So if the domain was transferred from another registrar or moved to another GoDaddy account it would have required direct access to your account. Due to this, I highly advise you take the steps to ensure your account is secure by updating the passwords and maybe consider enabling the 2 factor authentication option. 

Secondly, If the domain was registered to your name within the last 10 days within GoDaddy you may submit a change update form to move the domain back to your account. This will require that you are able to submit photo identification that matches the listed registrant on the whois database, or the previous registrant that was listed before the change within 10 days prior. 

To view the registrant information you may use public whois databases such as whois.net as example. 

To submit a change update request for the domain you may do this by visiting the address www.changeupdate.com and following the steps. This option would only be applicable if the domain was moved from one GoDaddy account to another. 

Best wishes!

-Techfly 

Sotekaedo
Getting Started

Hi,

One of the many reasons to leave GD. 

Good luck by court, this is really agressive politic they have.

BR

Sotekaedo

china886
New

Today i got an email from your company , it said that my domain (365deepnews.com) was moved to somebody's account, but i don't know what happened , and i didn't do anything. Please help me get back this domain. Thanks.

HI @china886

Thank you for your response. Seems that you may want to follow the same instructions as provided to amamanta. 

If the domain was registered to your name within the last 10 days within GoDaddy you may submit a change update form to move the domain back to your account. This will require that you are able to submit photo identification that matches the listed registrant on the whois database, or the previous registrant that was listed before the change within 10 days prior.

To view the registrant information you may use public whois databases such as whois.net as example.

To submit a change update request for the domain you may do this by visiting the address www.changeupdate.com and following the steps. This option would only be applicable if the domain was moved from one GoDaddy account to another.

Best Wishes!

-Techfly 

Diamond

Hello @amamanta

Thank you for your response. Please note that the right to control a domain name is determined by the individual or entity listed as registrant, not by who pays for the registration, or by which account the domain name(s) is located in. Please continue reaching out to your Undochange Team for specific assistance.

DDJ

That is baloney and I've lost trust with Godaddy for transferring my five year paid for domain registration for my personal accounts Louisebialik.com and 17pygmies.com where I was producer

Continued(due to lame tricky Godaddy interface). Anyways, I'm pissed because Godaddy got a lawyer from my band mate (former) threatening to sue for cyber squatting but I was still in group and yet while I owned domain and was producer, Godaddy got a lawyer's letter threatening cybersquatting lawsuit so transferred my account to thief and would not explain why or apologize or refund prepaid years. I still wait for answers. Do I sue for them?

It was under my name. I bought it and put it under my name. Undochange@godaddy never gave me an explanation other than I had 5 days to stop it by the email sent, and I did not reply on time.

With the flood of marketing emails godaddy sends, who wants to open them...

I gave up.

spsingh
New

I have had a similar problem. My domain, raunaq.com is registered with me since 1999 and has been renewed and paid for till May 2018. Last week it was transferred to a third party without my authorization. I have been calling and emailing godaddy and have been getting the run around. Now they have told me to email my passport / id etc., which I have done. But as per their response the situation looks bleak. Time to get my domains that are with godaddy moved to networksolutions or someone else. I don't think my account was hacked, so I don't know how it was transferred and I am not getting any workable solution from godaddy. Also, the person how now has the domain is also using godaddy as a registrar.

Hi @spsingh,

As with the other customers in this thread, HOW your domain moved will determine your best option to get it back.

If WE moved the domain as the result of a successful changeupdate.com request (and this does not require the requester's access to your account- your account is safe), you can attempt to recover it by writing to undochange@godaddy.com. You WILL be asked to send a personal ID and a business listing on the domain. If we do not receive those documents, we cannot return the domain - it belongs to the registrant (the person and business listed on the domain). 

If an unknown party entered your account and moved the domain to another GoDaddy account, there are two ways to recover the domain. Check the whois information to see if the registrant data has been changed by the party that took the domain.

• If it is still your registrant information, go to changeupdate.com and file a claim.
  • If the info has been changed to another name, write to undo@godaddy.com and they can review.

Hope this helps with your next step.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

Hello @TLH

Thanks for your input.

After having spoken to the customer service here in India and USA, I have sent several emails to the following as advised by the customer support explaining the situation:

undo@secureserver.net

undo@godaddy.com

and now to undochange@godaddy.com after your advice.

A couple of days ago I went to changeupdate.com and uploaded the relevant documents / IDs, i.e. before your response.

Unfortunately, I have not received a single response from anyone at Godaddy. On the other hand after several calls to the customer service, they have shown their inability do anything further! Also, they mentioned that I must have authorized the transfer and must have responded to their email, interestingly I never got any email asking for my authorization. I have in the past transferred a couple of domains so I am familiar with the procedure. It baffles me as to how this was done without my authorization and as to why the technicians at Godaddy are so ignorant to my plight.

I can only conclude that keeping domains with godaddy isn't safe and should be moved to a more secure service.

FYI if look up in whois, it still shows me as the owner of the domain.

Any other help / advice would be great.

Thanks,

SP Singh

Hi @spsingh,

As stated in my previous reply, if the domain is still registered at GoDaddy and if your name is still listed as the registrant, your best option is to go to our website CHANGEUPDATE.com and file a claim. If it's your name on the domain and you can provide personal valid color ID (and business ID if there is a business listed as registrant) then you should have no issues in recovery of the domain. 

If it has been transferred away to another registrar, you can go to the link below, fill out the dispute to request a review.

https://supportcenter.godaddy.com/TransferDispute

Supporting you at x.co/247support

Supporting you at godaddy.com/help/contact-us

Hello @TLH

Thanks for all your advice. I followed all the steps and am happy that my domain has been restored.

The chap who had acquired my domain had the cheek to call me up and offer to buy my domain and claimed that he was duped into paying someone INR 50,000 who had told him that he would approach me and purchase the domain. I don't believe it! Anyways, I told him that the domain isn't up for sale.

Thanks again,

SP Singh

Print out the whois registrar, because they did not want to provide me with the historical whois to prove that my domain was under my name until stolen, in spite of them knowing how did it happen.   I was treated as a derailed customer, no one wanted to talk to me on the phone, just email all those 3 emails for silly responses.

Amamanta and others, I have been reading your posts and the others with the same situation involving Go Daddy.  I went to the site because I have had the exact same thing happen to me.  they have completely killed my business transferred my account, domain and use of email away form me without my consent, authorization or knowledge.  After reading all of the posts, it is clear that I am not an isolated incident and something must be done to stop Go Daddy from continuing to do this to people.  They clearly do not care about their customers or what they do to them or their business, so it is time to punish them for their actions and continued conduct.  I believe that it is time to bring a class action law suit against Go Daddy for this clear disregard or the theft of our property.  If this is something that you would be interested in or anyone else that has had a similar situation happen, and there clearly are, contact me and lets get this ball rolling.

Kevin Williams

NOPE. Doesn't work. Hogwash run around with red tape maze of even more baloney.
amamanta
Getting Started

All that is nice and dandy... and has been done.  But undochange@godaddy, who I was told was the only one that could do something about my stolen domain, did not do it, regardless of the amounts of requests sent, questions asked and proof submitted.  I also thought I could clear it up, and customer service as well as you guys here did so, but I am at a loss and godaddy did not protect my domain, and worse, did not provide any venue to get it back, regardless of documentation submitted and questions asked.  My communication with undochange became a joke. Godaddy by contract when you transfer in a domain, reserves the right to make you spend money with the arbitration upfront or going to court and get a court order.  They are not liable so they do not care.

Same situation as mine. I emailed and faxed all my documentation, but still they gave this mysterious runaround without telling me exactly on what basis they released the domain to my supplier, and never confirmed that I was the registrar either. they just sent nosense emails with the incident number back to me.  Here in public, the forum is responsive... in private emails, it's just run around busy work till they tire you off.

Hergart
New

Godaddy did same thing to me. Gave away two of my domains and I try to transfer the surviving one. I had four accounts but when two were given away it scared me to stay on so I have tried to transfer surviving accounts and that has been impossible. Godaddy is a pirate.
T-3D
Former Employee

Greetings @krwilliams and everyone.

I can't speak to the specifics in this situation (and it appears to go back some time) but let me discuss this generally, if I may. I understand you have a valid concern and we appreciate your long customer history as you have shared it. I cannot discuss domain history in a public forum, but in most cases, registrars are obligated to assist the registrant of record regardless of account or payment history and it must be done in a timely manner.

However, you may have identified in your post the primary reason we, as a registrar, most likely cannot assist you. This appears to be a dispute between you and another party you know or have done business with (a supplier). Such changes made or initiated by a business partner, former employee, or other known parties are domain disputes, not hijackings. ICANN prohibits registrars, including GoDaddy, from becoming involved in domain disputes.

While this may appear to render us uncooperative, there is a solid reason behind it. Let's say for example, someone took something else you had, let's say your car. While you might notify the motor vehicle (registration) office, you would not expect them to take an active enforcement role. That role is for the authorities and the courts. This is why we (or any registrar) can only take action when we receive a court order or decision from an ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy ("UDRP") panel. I know it is frustrating to not be able to obtain an immediate resolution, but this is the path the registration authorities have identified through a long history of experience.

With all this in mind, you should continue to refer your attorney to the "Legal" section at the bottom of our home page. That is the fastest and most effective approach to resolving this.

I hope that helps somewhat, or at least increases the understanding of the "why" behind what you may have heard...

With best regards,

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

View solution in original post