• Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Go to solution

Help with my Civil War website

I am building a Civil War site that covers everything from the causes up to reconstruction. I will have a page for every battle, every general, both presidents, well you get the idea. This is going to be a monstrous website. I just received a notification that I was about to exceed my 50 page limit. How do I get the pages I will need for the website?

Website address: civilwartrack.com

Thank you for any assistance you may be able to give.

3 REPLIES 3
    Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

Re: Help with my Civil War website

@mikeypat

From what I understand, once you hit that limit -- it pretty much means you've outgrown GoCentral.  I am not aware of any way to add more pages beyond the imposed limit.  

At this point, you'll want to look into switching over to WordPress.  Especially since you've noted this will be a monstrous website -- the sooner you get on a platform to accommodate that the better!

With that move, you wouldn't have a page limit.  And, you would have much more flexibility and options in organizing and displaying all that info in a user-friendly and intuitive way.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Thank you for your support @Muse. Looking at trying to transfer the site to Wordpress, I don't understand what I need to do. Do I need to start from scratch or can I transfer the current website and update using the features you talked about?

Thank you for you help.

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II
    Solution

@mikeypat

You are welcome! Smiley Wink   Being they are two different platforms you are going to have to start from scratch.  However, that's not as daunting as it sounds!

You'll be able to copy-n-paste your current content into your new WordPress install.  First you'll have to choose a theme.  Here's an article on my site to help you know what to consider: Choosing the Right WordPress Theme.

I would recommend that you plan your navigation first, thinking about how you want to grow.   Knowing the type of navigation that will cater to how you want to organize everything will be important when looking at themes and the offered navigational structure each will offer.

I also have a ton of How-To articles to help you learn about WordPress and setup your site on my Blog.

As far as functionality, there are tons of plugins for you to choose from and add to your site in the WordPress Plugin Repository.

Yes, there will be a learning curve --  like learning new software.  But once you get the basics in place, you'll enjoy being able to organize, add or modify content exactly the way you like without limitations. 

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt