• GoDaddy Community
  • Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

I inherited a website - no idea where to start to update it now

I recently took a position for a Chamber of Commerce and they have a website that hasn't been updated in quite some time (and needs to be!).  I have no idea where to start to learn how to use the tools available to me to update.

Are there any tutorials or anything like that to give me a quick crash course? 

4 REPLIES 4
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Re: I inherited a website - no idea where to start to update it now

Hi @greenleerocks. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! The forum is an excellent place to start if you need advice. My suggestion would be to determine what the site is built with using a tool like builtwith.com. Once you figure that out, you can find one of the corresponding boards and ask further questions there. Man Happy

welcome to the club.gif

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Hi @greenleerocks,

Welcome to the GoDaddy Community! @JesseW has made some great suggestions for getting you started. It would be great if you shared the url of your Chamber of Commerce website so other Community members can check it out and give you some helpful tips on potentially how to make improvements. Take care and we look forward to hearing back from you. 

Rachel

I would love the help and input.  This site is pretty bland and not very productive to the chamber.  I would definitely love to change that.

http://www.greenleechamber.com/ 

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@greenleerocks

Hmmmm.... The site seems to have some issues with spacing and big blank white blocks.   It is almost as if we are missing information (like the pictures on the Contact Us page) -- or the coding could be causing that.   You do have all the basics in place content-wise to start with so that's good! Smiley Wink

Not knowing how the site is setup and or the hosting platform you are on, you can go in two directions...

=> GoDaddy's GoCentral will give you a clean and contemporary site with most of the basic features.  Based on what I see on the site that could be a good starting point.   You could then copy-n-paste the content you have into the new site.   Maybe try the 30 day free trial and see if that works for you.

=> Go with WordPress.  You would have much more flexibility in regard to layouts and features.  Easy to have a blog and a ton of plugins to choose from to add the additional functionality you want.

=> The site is not https -- so that needs to be implemented.

=> They should be using their dot com email address -- not gmail for branding purposes.  And not having a clickable link on the site (that just leads to increasing spam). There should be a form with subject options for folks to choose from and for you to be able to get contact information from inquirers.

I think what I would do would be to talk to the chamber folks and discuss with them if they want to be more thank brochureware.  If not GoCentral should do the trick.   Find out what their plans and/or wishlist is for the site moving forward. Having that info will help you make the right recommendations and what your next move should be.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
    "Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt