• Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Personal Website Builder and Responsive Mobile Web Design

Hello all.

I currently have a website, www.isomediagroup.com, that I designed using the GoDaddy Personal Website Builder. In it's current state, the desktop version looks nice, but the mobile version needs a little work. More specifically, the mobile version displays in one column within the viewport of the mobile phone, but has the ability to scroll horizontally revealing dead space (presumably due to the dimensions chosen in the website builder being optimized for the desktop version.) I wanted to know if there was a simple fix to optimize your site for mobile viewing (so that it displays in one column, takes up the whole screen, and no horizontal scrolling) or some simple HTML code that I can put in the site-wide code section on the website builder, or a way to link to a CSS document. I do have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, so I know that the use of media queries, and the viewport tag is common. Any help would be appreciated.

23 REPLIES 23
    Helper II

Re: Personal Website Builder and Responsive Web Design

It could be due to the fact, that all of your content seems to be "justified", rather than using "left margin". ???

No, .... I guess, it's not "justified", but all "centered".

Helper II

Possibly, a narrower page, would solve the problem. If it would allow more "free space border", surrounding the content.

New

Hi @Luqmann

Have you got this line in your <head> section

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width; initial-scale=1.0; maximum-scale=1.0; user-scalable=0;" />

This is known as the viewport meta tag which sets up some custom variables within the content.

The initial-scale value is important as this defaults your website to a full 100% zoom.

The last value for user-scalable will remove this zoom functionality altogether so the user cannot resize the layout. This will lock the design into one size based on the full device width. Note that even if you disable the zoom functionality a good responsive design will still adapt when transitioning from portrait to landscape on any device! But it makes sense to lock a responsive design and remove the generic scaling options.

I tried this and it won't allow the viewer to resize/zoom from the desktop version. The mobile version just looks all jumbled in a single column. Is there a way to edit the mobile version? If not, I'm definitely not going to pay for it. 

I treid the <viewport> meta fix for my site which had the same problem (also tried resizing the witdth of the desktop version)... None of those methods worked at all, the website buileder is deliberately coded ignore those workarounds and force you to get business plus  in order to have a "mobile-friendly version" which is, I might add, inferior and ugly and frankly the viewport resizing would look infinitely better and provide a much better ux... but alas, that is YET ANOTHER way in which they have us "trapped"....Have to upgrade adn pay extra or keep facing that same obnoxius resize/scroll/zoom before you can see your site at all on mobile issure that will inevitably cost you customers  they've stripped us of all available tools and resources we would otherwise have to fix the issue...extortionists..

LAPTOP VIEW VS MOBILE PHONE AND TABLET VIEW OF MY WEBSITE

Hi. I have been working on my website for the last two months. I finally got it done this weekend. Today I go and look at it on my LG smart phone and it is awful !!! Pictures are not where they are supposed to be. Descriptions and prices are everywhere but with the pictured item. Not one page of ten is correct.  I then looked at my website thru my Samsung Tab 2 and the same thing. It looks like total crap. Alot of time has been put into it and it looks like a 2 year old did it.  Why does it not look like the PREVIEW or the way it does here on my laptop?  The laptop shows it perfectly... all neat, organized, priced and ready for business.  I can't get business with a website that looks like that.  

Can someone please tell me what else i need to do?

Thanks

Tina 

beadsbanglesandthings.com

Helper V
    Helper V

Re: LAPTOP VIEW VS MOBILE PHONE AND TABLET VIEW OF MY WEBSITE

In order to make it responsive you must re-code your website with Bootstrap and also find the console window on you browser which shows some error's. Resolve those.

Please give it a +1 and also click "Mark As Accepted Solution" if you find it satisfactory. Thanking You With Regards | Harry Parmar

Hi, I went thru the website you mentioned, looks like the images are'nt there, few more things to be made right before you put it up to drive customers.

Plan the website well, especially the font with pixel perfect images

Try adjusting the page settings for width and height, that might help on the issue

Regards | Suveer

hi i like to know if i would show you what cost price include with my order from make up with airbrush if you find it then that cost me too much to payment ? how much cost for the payment ?

Employee
    Employee

Hello @danakay66!

Welcome to the community. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to ask. Can you provide some additional detail?

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support
    New

I have an issue with tablet views.  On the desktop and iphone versions of my site, the pages lay out correctly.  But on ipad mini and ipad full size the width is wrong.  The tablet display shows only part of the page.  Why wouldn't the software render the width correctly for each size screen?  I don't want to re layout the site using narrower pages.

New

I would like an answer to the same problem. Site on a smart phone is totally out of place 😞

New

I need help with this. 

New

Heather - why aren't you ANSWERING this question? I have the same issue - why can't the preview show a tablet view and what are our options? This is THE MOST BASIC requirement of a new website.

I have the same problem! A solution from Go Daddy would be great.

New

Agreed... This is very frustrating considering the time and effort put into the site design!

Domain and mobile sites

Hi, hope someone can point me in the right direction.

I currently use another provider (Weebly) for a website I've done for a friends campsite - it's pretty a pretty static site with info, pictures and a booking form for download. I have a domain registered with Freeparking for this, which forwards to the weebly url (and masks the weebly url).

The site looks fine on desktop but doesn't translate to a mobile device where everything is just compressed and the text is therefore tiny.

I've been thinking of using GoDaddy for a while and have mocked up a very crude example to show my friend here http://hendreeynoncaravanandcampingsi.godaddysites.com

Using this url it looks fine on a mobile device. 

To use my formal domain name for this and ensure the site continues to render properly on a mobile device, is all I have to do use the "transfer" domain option and attached that domain to this GoDaddy site or is there something else I'd need to do. I've asked this question of others previously and got all sorts of complicated answers about A records and masking being frowned on.

Thanks, and sorry for the dull questions.

Highlighted
    New

Re: Domain and mobile sites

I actually have a question for you Statto 1927.   In regard to the site you built through godaddy:

http://hendreeynoncaravanandcampingsi.godaddysites.com/

What is it that you did to make it dynamic/responsive on desktop.  I see that when the wondow is enlarged on my 27" screen, your website enlarges with the window.  I have been tryiong to apply this with my website at godaddy, but am not having any luck whatsoever... including calling godaddy about this issue.

Any advice you could send my way would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!!

This is very upsetting.....I have made almost 100 pages for my site. I spent a lot of time on this. An answer would be appropriate. 

I have the same issue and GoDaddy seems to be clueless as to a solution.

Hey @megancurtisnvp@mcarpenter,

How exactly are you both building your site pages? If custom coding perhaps some of the suggestions and tips previously suggested in the beginning of this discussion may be of help. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

I am using Web Builder v7 for both sites. I have tried adding html to the header and it has no effect on the site.

New

I went with GoDaddy Website Builder because they advertised their web builders as responsive design. I assumed that was across all devices. I am trying to find the pixels I need to use for my page setting but it's not working. When I work on my large screen it looks good. when I open my laptop it's a mess. This is impossible. I don't know what middle ground page setting/ pixel width & heigh to even begin with? Is anyone still having issues here? What setting would one suggest?

Thanks!