• GoDaddy Community
  • Advice on Improving Your Website
  • Advice on Improving Your Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

The BEST theme for freelance web designers

I have been designing websites for over 7-years. In that time I have tried several themes. I decided to find one flexible theme and become a master at it. This proved to be a great idea. Originally I was using BeTheme but was losing money because the client had to purchase a license each time. Last year I decided to start using Elegant Themes (Divi). This was one of the best things that I ever did. Divi offers a lifetime license which enables me to build as many sites as I need. Divi is also very popular which means that I can easily find support when needed. Equally important, if a client does not select one of my support packages they can easily find how to guides to manage their site. If you are a web designer looking to gain efficiency and increase profit you should consider Divi. It's a great tool and platform to generate amazing custom built websites quickly. If you are just getting started as a web designer and need support of advice I am happy to help. Astor Business Centers / Websitecasa. www.websitecasa.com or call [removed]. Good luck!

9 REPLIES 9
    Super User III
    Super User III

Re: The BEST theme for freelance web designers

@websitecasa 

I absolutely loved Divi. I used it all the time.

However, I found it only truly worked well on dedicated resource platforms, VPS hosting and up. On a shared platform the resources are more than enough to handle the site during editing but, when you get traffic, things slow down considerably.

So, I dove into the code of Divi and found it's unnecessarily bulky. There's just a lot of unnecessary code, in my opinion.

What lite themes would you recommend for shared hosting platforms?

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
    * Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
    please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
    Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Community Manager
    Community Manager

Thanks for the post @websitecasa. A few years ago I decided to try my hand at website design with WordPress. The discovery of the Divi theme was a large part of that. I used it to build several websites. It's become very bulky over the years, I think just due to the huge amount of features it offers. Ultimately I decided to stop using it because I found that I would frequently lose style customizations (not to the code but in the editor) when I updated the theme. It can be run on a Deluxe cPanel plan (in my experience) so long as you increase the available memory for PHP and use a caching plugin. Just my 2¢ Smiley Very Happy

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Re: The BEST theme for freelance web designers/?isc=gdcommment

Great feedback @MrVapor & @JesseW. When you stopped using Divi what did you switch to?

--

*Website Casa**Webdesign - Hosting - Domain Names*

*Astor Business Centers*
    8145 Hwy 6 S, Site 138
    Houston, Texas 77083

*SKYPE ID - flavamix*
    TX - (832) 541-2161
    UK - 07708467383

Highlighted
    Super User III
    Super User III

@websitecasa

I use a few different combos of theme and web builder.

I like GeneratePress. It's light and has very little added nonsense. Same with the Hello Theme from Elementor. It's basic and very much a bootstrap-like theme.

I also like Elementor. I've experimented with pretty much every kind of web builder plugin there is and that one works well for me.

* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Super User II Super User II
    Super User II

@websitecasa @JesseW @MrVapor 

I'm hoping since you guys have built sites with Divi you can bring me up to speed on something I've been wondering about as I haven't played with Divi for a couple years.

I've stayed away from "builders" in general because they tend to slow sites down -- and leave tons of shortcode in their wake.   Back in the day when I played with Divi I was concerned about the fact that you would pretty much be locked into Divi for the long term.  Or have things changed and that is no longer the case? Is there an easy-peasy way to switch to a non-Divi theme?

How do you broach that topic with clients or do you bring it up at all?  TIA! 😉

Judith
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

Super User III
    Super User III

@Muse 

I've found that a lot of the all-in-one builders like Divi and Avada do exactly what you say they do... add on a lot of unnecessary code. I've found the combo of a lite theme and something like Beaver Builder, Elementor, or Oxygen to work quite well with building speedy sites that don't need a lot of optimization.

Getting "locked in" is an issue, however. There's not a lot you can do to avoid that unless you just build a completely bespoke site with a custom theme and plugins. 

Community Manager
    Community Manager

@websitecasa I decided to hang up website development as a side hustle. Now I just maintain the sites that I did, but I'm trying to move away from even that since I'm not getting paid for it Man Very Happy 

@Muse to your point, yes I've pretty much been locked into using Divi for the sites in question. I think converting a builder page into regular WordPress page wipes out any content. To be fair, I haven't really researched it, so Elegant Themes may have something better now. I don't have a lifetime license so I've been paying for it annually so I could keep the themes updated. I'm actually going to let my sub run out this year I think. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
    Super User II

@MrVapor  

Thanks for confirming what I thought.  While we get the importance of speedy -- many clients just want what they want.

But for full disclosure, when folks come to me wanting a Divi site, I let them know what they are getting into.   One of the things I have always like about WordPress is the ease as to which you can swap out a theme.  Divi and the shortcode builders take that flexibility away.  

Same with custom post types -- while they are nifty and cool, they can lock folks into a particular theme (and developer).  In my experience they are never advised of that up front to be able to make an educated decision.  To make a simple theme switch then becomes a complicated content migration process first.

I prefer to the KISS principle! 😉

Judith
    "Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up." ~Thomas Edison

Super User II

@JesseW 

The content doesn't get wiped out in all cases -- it just no longer displays because it is wrapped in the shortcodes.   As I mentioned earlier this takes away one of the most flexible things about WordPress, being able to switch themes.    Developers who use Divi, for example, in my experience do not advise clients that they are then locked into Divi.

I had a client get really upset because "I've read that switching themes is no big deal..."   Usually it isn't but that's not the case with sites built with Divi.

While most folks are willing to hire someone to help with a theme switch and customization -- you throw in the additional cost of stripping shortcodes and things can get expensive fast!  And boy are they mad that they have to incur that additional expense and weren't advised that was what they were buying into.

I get why you are moving away -- the more things change -- the more complicated they are getting. 😉   While I still enjoy what I do after 24 years, it is only because I am very selective in what I take on.

Judith