Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dont buy more than a couple months at a time with web hosting and online stores...

Novice

Dont buy more than a couple months at a time with web hosting and online stores...

Got the whammy today from Godaddy.  We bought several years of a hosting package that is no good to us and they wont refund the 2.5 years we have left because of their 30 day policy.

Spoke with several godaddy reps and they would not do anything about it.

Now we have a host package for 2.5 years that we aren't using and cant use because it was too slow and even godaddy techs said this old hosting wasn't working out for our needs.  All we wanted was the remaining time credited to our account.

Their hosting solution is not cutting it, we want to turn it off and are now stuck with it...

3 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor

Re: Dont buy more than a couple months at a time with web hosting and online stores...

Seems like you have had a bad experience. I in particular would like to know more about your situation. In my experience GoDaddy hosting has been suitable to my needs, the customer support has been great, the uptime unmatched and multiple year plans have been economical. With that said I have run into a similar issue but with a different result.

A client came to me a couple of years ago having already purchased her hosting. The good thing was that she purchased with GoDaddy and they are one of the very few companies that I will recommend my clients host with. The hosting she purchased came at a great deal as she purchased three (3) years out and used a 30% coupon. The issue was she had purchased a economy class of hosting and really needed more than that as she was looking to host two small websites. I want to say that she was well past 30 days (maybe like 9 months or so) and when I called and spoke on her behalf I had no issue changing her plan with her unused credits going towards a more robust offering.

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of GoDaddy or the whys, whens and ifs but I can say that I have found them to be accommodating to myself and the clients to whom I refer. While "Don't buy more than a couple months at a time with web hosting" may very well work for a lot of people I don't prefer it. I feel awful that your experience with GoDaddy is not as mine has been. Hoping the best for your future projects and hosting!

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head
...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate
Novice

Re: Dont buy more than a couple months at a time with web hosting and online stores...

As a host, they're one of the worst you can have. Funky proprietary system. The author of the backup component I use on all my sites won't support the product if installed on GD servers - too many issues. 

I use them as a registrar all the time and they're great for that. Just don't use for hosting. I have one client I'm trying to get a refund for who knows nothing about websites and went ahead and paid for hosting till 2020! And GD won't even run one of the scripts she has on a pretty standard WP site. Just a flat refusal, yet they also still refuse to refund. 

Novice

[ Edited ]

Your whole statement sounds like you were paid to type all of it @rd

THE TRUTH: I've been with GD for less than 2 weeks, but I also DID MY RESEARCH and discovered some bad history about GD and the CEO that I don't agree with morally. I'm leaving them also because they can't support PHP scripts, iframes, and many other resources you would want if you had planned on really GROWING your business.

My advice, iget your refund if you can within the 30 days. Do some research on what are the best web hosting companies out there (HINT: they've been around longer than GD) and have more incentives included..just more bang for the buck! I also was dupped by the false advertisements of this being "The Best"...live & learn moment.