• Building and Managing a Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    Skytrk
    Novice

How do you upload files?

How do you upload files to "your server"?  Where is this when using Godaddy?

Thanks

8 REPLIES
    bbreeden
    Novice

Configuring SQL PHP Site

I have been using MAMP to create a PHP website on my local machine. I have the site completed and SQL database/tables completed. But I am not sure where to upload the files or how to configure my website to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Heyitscandy
    Novice

Re: Need more info about hiding pages, and how to make a sitemap

I am also interested in how to "Up load to your server" in GoDaddy 

Re: How Do You Upload Files?

Hey @Skytrk@Heyitscandy,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy

We actually have multiple help articles on how to upload files to hosting plans. Course some of these can vary depending on your specific type of hosting plan and your preferred method of connection. The most common method I know other members here use is FTP via applications like FileZilla. Perhaps that helps, or you can search for other related articles from there. 

Let us know how it goes. 

CG - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
    24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Re: Configuring SQL PHP Site

Hey @bbreeden

For uploading your site files, you should check out our help articles mentioned above. If you search here, you can also find our help topics on setting up and importing database details from MySQL/MS SQL databases you've created. 

SporkSchivago
    Proficient

@CG,

Wouldn't recommending FTP be a bad idea because of the plain text authentication that most FTP servers use?   If someone's sniffing the network traffic, someone could obtain the username / password fairly easy like, right?   Wouldn't SFTP be a better suggestion?

I only mention this because when we were running a Linux server up at the local college, we actually ended up having our server compromised because one of the admins FTPed into the Linux box instead of SFTPing in.  My friend and I were administering the box and what made it even worse was when he FTPed into the machine, he FTPed in as root.   One of the professors on the campus was running WireShark and grabbed the username / password.   He locked us out of server and it was very embarrassing having to go to him to request how he got in.

I know RFC 2228 defines some FTP security extensions, but if the user doesn't understand how to upload files to their server, maybe they don't understand how to properly "harden" an FTP server.   I try to play it safe and always recommend SSH / SFTP for this kind of stuff.   Then it doesn't matter so much.   What do you think?

Hey @SporkSchivago,

You make a good point. Our basic walk through I previously linked was originally written for basic FTP (as it's still pretty common), but the same steps can be used with sFTP as well. The only difference is using Port 22 instead of port 21 for the connection. 

Thanks for bringing this up! Smiley Happy

SporkSchivago
    Proficient

@CG,

Thanks!  Are there any SSH specific walkthroughs from GoDaddy?   Maybe we should write one...one that not only shows how to properly setup an SSH server, but how to harden it as well.   https://www.godaddy.com/help/enable-ssh-4942

but it's very basic and limited, even after clicking and reading the pages that it links to.

Using the default port 22 is okay, but I was getting a LOT!!! of brute-force type attempts, even with keyboard-authentication disabled.   I had to move my SSH server to a much higher port.

I know if someone doesn't have any experience with SSH, setting up the keys for the first time can be a bit cumbersome.   I had trouble the first time I tried setting them up.   Personally, I think the servers should come with FTP disabled / not installed by default.   Someone could very easily try to login to their ftp server with the root username / password, without any idea that it's being sent across the net in plain text.   If there server gets hacked because of that, it might be hard to track down how the hacker got in.   If they're using FTP, they probably don't realize it's unencrypted text.

bosklong
    Novice

Re: How do you upload files?

How do i upload a file then connect it to my Shopify account