Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change pixels of photos

Novice

How to change pixels of photos

[ Edited ]

Probably been asked already, but I'm really tired and going buggy! I'm finally working on my site and now I have a limit on my pic size for the first page.  That's fine, but the pics I need/want to use are too big. How do I decrease they're pixel size? I'm really hoping someone here can tell me or I'll have to pick another template and start over! My store will never open at this rate.

Thanks!

See more topics labeled with:

4 REPLIES
Skilled

Re: How to change pixels of photos

[ Edited ]

I have had similar problems in the past with photos. If you take them with a hd camera, there's way too much hi def for websites, and they take ages to download when opening your page. I'm not sure if all computers come with a way of decreasing size automatically but there are a few ways.

If you upload a picture to Facebook, they resize the photo to host it. You can then redownload it at the smaller size.

Or you can get a photo/image manipulation programme for your computer. Some are free. I use GIMP which is like an open-source photoshop, but it's probably quite complicated in comparison to uploading your picture to social media.

You can also try screen-shotting the photo whilst its on your computer screen. Depends what computer you have but that should be a quite simple way to make a low resolution pic.

Hopefully someone else knows an even easier way...

Novice

If one is going to be a publisher, one should learn to use the tools; not depend on a work-around like running a photo through a social media site to change dpi. Besides, this is a simple operation in either Gimp or Photoshop.

In Gimp:

1. Open the photo with Gimp (or open Gimp, then drag the photo onto the work area)

2. Click on "Scale Image" in the Image drop down menu. A box will open.

3. Change the resolution. They are linked (see the little chain?) so you only need to change one. You most likely want 72 dpi for your web page.

4. Save to image. I use a different name so that the original still has all of the information available for possible future manipulations.

5. That's it!

Photoshop is just about as simple. Adobe has some nice monthly pricing that make it easy to get and use this industry standard; there are also lots of tutorials and online help. I do not work for Adobe, just use their products a lot.

Randy Meaders

hrmeaders@gmail.com

Novice

Thanks for your help! I'd love to have Photoshop but it's a bit pricey for me now. I'll try the other way.
Thanks!
Novice

Thanks for your help. I'll try Gimp. I downloaded it a few days ago. But had no clue what to do w/it! I really need to get my store uom& running. I hate when speedbumps like these slow me down!
Thanks again!!