• Building and Managing a Website
  • Building and Managing a Website

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 
    jsharvey
    Novice

Two independent wordpress-based sites, two domains, on one deluxe hosting plan ?

I have a wordpress-based website associated with my primary domain and an independent way-out-of-date website created by Frontpage associated with the second domain. Both are hosted on a single deluxe linux plan through GoDaddy, with the Frontpage files in a folder. I want to replace the old site with a new wordpress-based website... is this possible and how do I set it up ? Apologies... I'm sure this has come up before

4 REPLIES
    GoDaddy Pro Trusted Advisor

Re: Two independent wordpress-based sites, two domains, on one deluxe hosting plan ?

Hello @jsharvey

If I understand correctly, and you want the domain of your all website (Frontpage) to open the new website (WordPress), then the easy way is to make a domain forwarding.

If I did not understood correctly, please give us more details.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
    jsharvey
    Novice

Re: Two independent wordpress-based sites, two domains, on one deluxe hosting plan ?

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think I stated my question clearly. Let me try again... I have two domains and one deluxe linux hosting plan at Godaddy, everything is operational. Lets call the websites example1.com and example2.com. The primary domain is example1.com and it is a blog associated with a website created with wordpress. The secondary domain is example2.com and it is associated with an out-of-date static website that I created for work years ago using Frontpage. All of the files for example2.com are located in a single folder (folder name is workweb) within the webroot directory, this is the same place where all the wordpress folders for example1.com reside (i.e. wp-admin, wp-content, wp-includes, cgi, Error logs, Access logs). I want to delete the old example2.com website and replace it with a newly designed website created using wordpress. I suppose what I am asking is whether a second, completely independent installation of wordpress can be performed in the workweb folder. Alternatively, I know I could use the Godaddy 'website builder' suite to create a new example2.com website (simply replacing all the files within workweb), but that's not really what I want to do. Alternatively, you might suggest a second hosting plan, where wordpress is installed and associated with example2.com, but that's not what I want to do either. I hope I've clarified what I want to do, and I look forward to your advice.

Hello @jsharvey

You can use the folder "workweb" for a second WordPress site for the "example2.com" domain, but I suggest that first you delete the old files (created with Frontpage) and perform a "manual installation" by uploading the WordPress files (by FTP) and manually creating the database in the control panel.

If you have any more questions, fell free to ask.

Good luck. Smiley Happy

***Signature: -> Do not assume anything! If you want help, explain your problem. If my post helped you, give it a Kudo. If you have the solution, mark the topic as Solved.
    katine
    Novice

wouldn't having two WP installations in the same directory cause the index.php files and wp-config.php files to conflict regardless of whether one WP was installed automatically using c-panel and the other, done manually via FTP transfer of all the WP files even though each has a separate database?  I would think you can only have one WP installation per unique directory or domain.  Which brings a question - if I have  a delux Linux hosting plan + c-panel; and I have say 10 domains and want a website for each, do I need to install WP 10 times - once for each domain?  or do I install WP once on the root directory and then only the database file is associated with each unique domain?