Skip to main content
Help Center
The GoDaddy Community will undergo maintenance starting on Tuesday, August 3rd at 3pm PST / 6pm EST. Learn more
  • GoDaddy Community
  • Buying & Selling Domains
  • Buying & Selling Domains

cancel
    Showing results for 
    Show  only  | Search instead for 
    Did you mean: 

Changing a backordered domain - What does the credit include?

I've had a backordered domain set up for a few years now with no luck as yet. I've found a domain that is available. Assuming I would give up waiting for the original backordered domain, what would happen if I changed the backorder to a domain that I know is available? Would I be better off just purchasing the available domain and forget about changing the backorder? If I changed the backorder to an available domain, would it purchase that domain? If the available domain cost more annually (i.e. $49) than I paid for the backorder credit (i.e. $35), do I have to pay the difference? If the annual cost of the available domain is reduced for the first year ($2.99), will I receive a credit (i.e. $32.01) if my backorder credit (i.e. $35) is applied or do I forfeit the balance? Does any of this make any sense? I don't want to lose the $35 backorder credit if I switch my domain to an available one. I guess I don't know what happens when a backordered domain becomes available.

1 REPLY 1
    JesseW
    Community Manager

Hey @ZekeDeEspanada. Thanks for posting. I'll do my best to answer all your questions:

• What would happen if I changed the backorder to a domain that I know is available?
      • Backorders are only used for domains that are already registered. You would not be able to place a backorder on a domain that is not already registered. Here's what it will look like if you try it:change backorder unregistered domain.png
    • Would I be better off just purchasing the available domain and forget about changing the backorder?
      • Yes... since that wouldn't work 😁
    • If I changed the backorder to an available domain, would it purchase that domain?
      • No. Please see above.
    • If the available domain cost more annually (i.e. $49) than I paid for the backorder credit (i.e. $35), do I have to pay the difference? If the annual cost of the available domain is reduced for the first year ($2.99), will I receive a credit (i.e. $32.01) if my backorder credit (i.e. $35) is applied or do I forfeit the balance?
      • As stated above, backorders won't work for new domain registrations. Regardless of the registration cost, the backorder should obtain the domain for you if you have the only backorder or place a bid for you if there are multiple. For more information on how backorders work please see this article
    • Does any of this make any sense?
      • Totally - backorders are a little confusing 😁

Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give likes.