cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain Selling 101

Looking for "concise" info here on selling.  GoDaddy has scatter info everywhere without simple clear how-to:

1. Does it cost money to "List for Sale"?

2. If sold, what's the fee charged by GoDaddy?  20%?

3. Will GoDaddy take care all the post-sale details and transfer?

4. How reliable is the "Estimated Value"?  If crappy, where/what is a good way to do this?

5. Can you do both List for Sale and Domain Auctions?  Why two methods?

Thanks in advance folks!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Domain Selling 101

@Cutaway007 wrote:

Looking for "concise" info here on selling.  GoDaddy has scatter info everywhere without simple clear how-to:

1. Does it cost money to "List for Sale"?

2. If sold, what's the fee charged by GoDaddy?  20%?

3. Will GoDaddy take care all the post-sale details and transfer?

4. How reliable is the "Estimated Value"?  If crappy, where/what is a good way to do this?

5. Can you do both List for Sale and Domain Auctions?  Why two methods?

Thanks in advance folks!!!

@Cutaway007 It doesn't technically cost money to list the domains but you can pay extra to promote the listings. If you use Premium Listings then the transfer is handled by Godaddy for you. You can read about the different fees here: https://www.godaddy.com/help/commission-rates-for-premium-listings-3494

Don't ever trust an automated appraisal from anyone for anything, they are clearly unreliable.

---

Thanks for the awesome answer on pricing.   So, everyone should do both Premium Listing and Auction, right?  This feels like the eBay Auction where you can also choose the "Buy It Now" option.    If I am mistaken, what am I missing in difference between the two methods?   Thanks!

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@Cutaway007 wrote:

Thanks for the awesome answer on pricing.   So, everyone should do both Premium Listing and Auction, right?  This feels like the eBay Auction where you can also choose the "Buy It Now" option.    If I am mistaken, what am I missing in difference between the two methods?   Thanks!

@Cutaway007 There's really not too much difference. I usually just list on premium listings, these are displayed when a customer searches for the domain name in the registration path or even if they search for a similar domain name. Premium listings payout much sooner because the domains listed have to be held at Godaddy. You can see an example of mine here: https://www.godaddy.com/domainsearch/find?domainToCheck=triedit.com

The auction listings are usually only listed in the auctions.godaddy.com section of the site and can be promoted etc, they do not have to be held at Godaddy and payout typically within 10-12 days depending on transfer time. You can see an example here: https://auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=258316855

---

Amazing, clear, concise answer!  Thank you.  Cheers.