cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Navigating domain auctions (premium listings in particular) as a newbie

Hi All,

I would like to sell a domain via Premium Listings within Godaddy Auctions. i've run my domain through the valuation tool and I think I'd be daft not to ensure I've got as wide an audience as possible taking a look. 

A few questions..if anyone could share their thoughts I'd be most grateful...

- When I have tried to list the domain as a Premium Listing, I'm getting an error message that my domain cannot be listed as a premium listing. It's a .com which I own, nothing has expired in terms of that. What I'm guessing is the issue is that Premium listings cannot have "transfer protection". A bit of guesswork here...to us non techs does all this in a nutshell mean if I want to see a domain as a premium listing, I need to move it to GD first as where it is hosted? Will that then solve the problem and let me list it as a premium listing?

- If that's required, how long does that type of transfer of hosting take?

- I don't want to pay for a year of hosting I don't need....is there a way of GD considering that this cost is also on top of my auctions membership, and the 20% I'll pay in commission when it sells? Or do I have to suck it up? 

- Anyone have experience using a broker to help their sale? How much more do you lost in commission if you add a broker into the mix typically?

Any other help or advice would be fantastic, bit daunting selling my first domain but exciting too! cheers!

6 REPLIES 6
Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Navigating domain auctions (premium listings in particular) as a newbie

I don't believe it is required to transfer the domain first, but it is recommended because if it sells that would make a transaction go smoother and you would likely get paid quicker.  That is separate from hosting, either way you can still host it wherever you want.

Where is the domain registered?  Domains usually come locked (registrar level lock), but there is often an optional extra-locked feature (registry level lock).  GoDaddy includes this with Protected Registration, but other registrars have different names for it.  This needs to be bumped down to the regular Locked to list a domain, or unlocked when it is time to transfer the domain.

Solution

Thanks for the reply Nate! 

it is currently hosted by Name.com - I'll take a look now and see if I can downgrade the security level, if you've any idea how it works there let me know 🙂 

Nate I logged into name.com and tried unlocking the domain so that it didn't have as tight restrictions on it in terms of transfer. I'm still getting the error message from go daddy that this can't be a premium listing...? any ideas?

Super User III

It looks like Name.com calls the feature Domain Lock Plus.

https://www.name.com/support/articles/360001399428-Enabling-Domain-Lock-Plus

Make sure this is disabled.

Highlighted

Yup switched this off and still getting that error message from GD....

Super User III

It can take a few hours for a change to the lock status to be visible externally.