cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Find a Domain Attorney. How to find one that responds?

Hi guys!  I would like to put some of my domains up for sale that may have popular or sensitive content so I am looking for a domain attorney to review them and advise me so I do not run into problems.  GoDaddy customer service does not make any recommendations.  I have looked up Domain Attorneys online, approached two different ones and gotten no response.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Need to Find a Domain Attorney. How to find one that responds?

@Fashion1 wrote:

Hi guys!  I would like to put some of my domains up for sale that may have popular or sensitive content so I am looking for a domain attorney to review them and advise me so I do not run into problems.  GoDaddy customer service does not make any recommendations.  I have looked up Domain Attorneys online, approached two different ones and gotten no response.  Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

@Fashion1 Most domain attorneys do not appraise domain names. I am assuming that you own domains that you feel infringe on trademarks? 
---

Highlighted

Thanks for your response @justingodfrey.  I don't really need to have them appraised but I do need to make sure I am not infringing on a trademark or that the names are not going to cause me any problems.  Would feel better if a domain lawyer looked at them before I sell.  I need a consultation.

Super User II
Super User II

@Fashion1 wrote:

Thanks for your response @justingodfrey.  I don't really need to have them appraised but I do need to make sure I am not infringing on a trademark or that the names are not going to cause me any problems.  Would feel better if a domain lawyer looked at them before I sell.  I need a consultation.

@Fashion1 From my experience you'd want to consult with an actual trademark attorney but personally I would use the free trademark search here: https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

----

Thanks again for the response @justingodfrey. I am a writer and would be more comfortable with an attorney reviewing my domains for potential problems rather than me looking them up in a trademark database myself.  You mentioned using a trademark attorney. I know there are also laws specifically regarding the web.  Ultimately, my question is can anyone recommend a domain attorney and trademark attorney?

Super User II
Super User II

@Fashion1 wrote:

Thanks again for the response @justingodfrey. I am a writer and would be more comfortable with an attorney reviewing my domains for potential problems rather than me looking them up in a trademark database myself.  You mentioned using a trademark attorney. I know there are also laws specifically regarding the web.  Ultimately, my question is can anyone recommend a domain attorney and trademark attorney?

@Fashion1 I am not familiar with trademark attorneys but I know a lot of people that have used domain attorneys John Berryhill and Zak Muscovitch but you'll end up paying them a fee for them to review the domains. Good luck in your search!

----