cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Using GoDaddy to broker a domain purchase question

Hello - GoDaddy is charging $69 to assist on buying/transferring a domain. How can they find the owner of a domain that is listed as privet/restricted by GDPR from finding their name? There is no website or IP address associated with the domain, it is registered by fasthosts domain who have said they cannot share the info with me. 

Basically, I don't want to pay $69 to find out that they cannot find the domain owner from a "whois" search (same as me).

What does GoDaddy do different than whois, and how do they find the owner of a site, and how do I insure I am not wasting my money? Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Using GoDaddy to broker a domain purchase question

@floridanetman wrote:

Hello - GoDaddy is charging $69 to assist on buying/transferring a domain. How can they find the owner of a domain that is listed as privet/restricted by GDPR from finding their name? There is no website or IP address associated with the domain, it is registered by fasthosts domain who have said they cannot share the info with me. 

Basically, I don't want to pay $69 to find out that they cannot find the domain owner from a "whois" search (same as me).

What does GoDaddy do different than whois, and how do they find the owner of a site, and how do I insure I am not wasting my money? Thanks

@floridanetman If the domain is under GDRP privacy then I would save your money. If the domain is held at Godaddy they would be able to see the account owner's email and possibly contact them that way and via phone. Since its not held at Godaddy I wouldn't waste your money. Sometimes if you go to the registrar where the domain is held you can use their whois to see the contact information but not always.

---

Re: Using GoDaddy to broker a domain purchase question/?isc=gdcommment

Thank you @justingodfrey...I did contact the registrar, who is based in UK and said GDPR
rules prevent them from even asking. Thank you for your advice, most
helpful.