cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Are They Selling Our Personal Data???

I recently purchased a premium domain from godaddy and wow and next day I get 20+ emails and 15+ calls from companies who wants to build website for this domain and trying to sell. I don't understand that why is go daddy selling our contact information to these companies. I felt our data was violated.

Any help how to escalate this issue and resolve ? I still continue to get calls and emails.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User II

Hello,

It sounds as if you didn't purchase Domain Privacy along with your domain. When you register the domain, all our information -- name, email address, phone number, etc. -- becomes publicly viewable in the ICANN registry. Domain Privacy replaces that information with masked information to prevent scrapers from picking up your information and using it for spam campaigns. 

You can always add this by going in to manage your domains, selecting privacy, and paying for it. Last I checked it's around $8 a year but it prevents this kind of thing from happening altogether.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User II

Hello,

It sounds as if you didn't purchase Domain Privacy along with your domain. When you register the domain, all our information -- name, email address, phone number, etc. -- becomes publicly viewable in the ICANN registry. Domain Privacy replaces that information with masked information to prevent scrapers from picking up your information and using it for spam campaigns. 

You can always add this by going in to manage your domains, selecting privacy, and paying for it. Last I checked it's around $8 a year but it prevents this kind of thing from happening altogether.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. If you contact me via PM for help, I will give you a price quote for my personal services. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post