cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bdp31770
Novice

Cost to transfer a domain to Godaddy

I transferred a few of my domains to another registrar. I didnt realize one of them was on auto renew, it renewed, and the registrar won't give a refund like Godaddy does in this situation. So, I'd like to transfer these name back to Godaddy. However, I'm unsure how the charges would work out. I know .net is more expensive than .com, however, I'm not sure what the upfront charge would be. Take for example a .com domain I renewed for 1 year with the other registrar last month. If I transfer it to Godaddy now, would I have to pay for an additional year, so that it wouldnt expire until October 2020? Or is the transfer free and I don't owe anything until October 2019?

Thank you for any info!

1 REPLY

Re: Cost to transfer a domain to Godaddy

Hi @bdp31770!

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you had. Luckily, transferring domains to GoDaddy is usually a cheap and easy process.

The cost varies (as you noticed), but in general, when you purchase a domain transfer, it gives you the time left on the domain plus an additional year as part of the cost of the transfer, but at a lower price than it normally costs for domains. For instance, if your domain was AWESOMEDOMAIN.COM, and it was currently set to expire in 2019, and you wanted the minimum amount of time added on (1 year), then your cost would likely be $8.17 USD. It would be $7.99 for the transfer fee plus $0.18 for the ICANN fee, and your domain would then expire in 2020 once it was in your GoDaddy account. If it was a .net, it would be $11.17 ($10.99 + $0.18), if it was a .org, it would be $12.17 ($11.99 + $0.18), and so on. Unfortunately, there is not currently a way to move domains between companies/registrars without some type of fee.

You can look up the cost of individual or multiple domains for transfer here:

https://www.godaddy.com/domains/domain-transfer?dpp2=1&ci=17463&config=absreg

Here is a great guide on how to transfer a domain from an outside company into GoDaddy:
https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-to-godaddy-1592

I hope this helps!