cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Domain Registry Transfer To GoDaddy and 60 Day Wait Period

I have several dot com domains I’d like to transfer from another Registry  to    Godaddy. The reason I'd like to transfer is to  be prepared to sell my domains currently already listed on Godaddy.

However, I’m worried that after the Registry   transfer to GoDaddy, I'll be forced to wait 60 days before I can sell the domains and have the transfers approved without the 60 day wait.  I’ve read several topics here but none of them give me much confidence that I will have an option during transfer to Godaddy to opt out of a 60 day wait period.

From what I have read, it appears there is no way around this, yet when I listed my domains for sale here on GoDaddy, it was suggested that I transfer my domains to Godaddy. But no was mention of a 60 day wait being enforced.    Tech  support at the Registry  I plan to  transfer from can't answer  this question.  They are also not certain.

Obviously this is important so I hope I can find someone who has the definitive answer.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Jennifer100,

Welcome to the Community!

The 60-day transfer lock would apply at all registrars as ICANN (not GoDaddy) sets this rule. Many of the domain sellers within GoDaddy (that use either the auction service or the Premium domain service) currently would have their domains restricted against transfer on this lock - due to either new registration or recent transfer. Their solution upon selling the domain is to simply do an "account change". Moving the domain to another GoDaddy account that the buyer already has or can be quickly set up upon the completion of a successful sale. Just something to keep in mind. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

View solution in original post

Hi @Jennifer100,

Sorry to hear about your troubles - especially the dandruff. JK

You can still sell the names at the other registrar in GoDaddy's auction, but will need to ask your current registrar if they can do the same type of "internal transfer" - what is for GoDaddy an Account Change. Should you eventually move the domains here, you can use and share these instructions for moving the domains to another GoDaddy account. 

Move out of your account: https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-my-domain-to-another-godaddy-account-822

Accept into a new account: https://www.godaddy.com/help/accept-a-domain-name-account-change-1670?

While this won't assist with air travel or other maladies, I hope the information will help.

Community Manager

Hi @Retired. I just wanted to clarify a bit about how domain locking works. The email you provided a screenshot of seems a bit confusing. 

First, per your link, the full text says this:

Q: Can ICANN lift the 60-day lock on domains?

A: No, ICANN does not place, nor can it lift a 60-day lock on domain names. Registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant's information. Registrars may (but are not required to) allow registrants to opt out of the 60-day lock prior to the change of registrant request. Contact your registrar to see if they will allow you to opt out of the 60-day lock period.

For more information about Change of Registrant and 60-Day Lock After Change of Registrant, please follow this link: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ownership-2013-05-03-en

If you visit the second link, you will find this information:

60-Day Lock After Change of Registrant

After 1 December 2016, registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant's information. Registrars may (but are not required to) allow registrants to opt out of the 60-day lock prior to the change of registrant request.

So while ICANN may not do the actual locking, it is an ICANN requirement that the lock occurs. GoDaddy does give customers the option to opt out of locking a domain when it's registrant information is changed, even though we are not required to do so. In the case where someone changes the registrant information for a domain and opts into locking that domain, GoDaddy facilitates the lock because it is required to by ICANN, but ultimately it's the customer who decides whether or not the lock occurs. 

CC @Jennifer100 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

11 REPLIES 11
Super User IV

@Jennifer100 

I just did some quick Google Searches - 

1) When you update Whois information within GoDaddy you do have the ability to opt out of the 60 day lock

2) When you do a domain transfer (between registrars) it looks like you CANNOT opt out - this is an ICANN policy not a GoDaddy policy so it would apply to all registrars. 

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Hey,  thanks for the quick answer.    You said, "it looks like you CANNOT opt out" and I guess you must be right.  I gave you a kudo and will wait to see if there are any opposing views.  But so strange  to be asked to transfer because to sell then seems useless if we want to sell right away.   If this is true and no reason  to doubt it, then we should just leave our domains where they are and attempt to sell without having them  parked on Godaddy.   

@Jennifer100 

Part of the reason of transferring the domain to GoDaddy first is some of their systems are integrated so if you do a cash parking as part of a domain listing it can auto update the IP address - not only that but some scripts can help with automation. You may want to look/post in the domain investment board for best practices.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Thank you, but yes, I understand  this and  that's one of the reasons we wanted to move  to the Godaddy Registry.  Or if  the advantage is that good then maybe just bite the bullet, transfer to GD,  and wait  for 60 days 

If I had to do this over again, we would have transferred to Godaddy long ago. But then we were not selling domains then long ago,   

Some of our domains are active and parking is maybe not a good option. I don't care about the small amount of money we could  make parking. We need the cash for operations and  waiting for an extra two months to sell is not a good  option.  If we transferred then we might as well remove the listings.   So it seems  the best thing is to stay where we are and list on numerous sites  such as afternic, sedo, dan, etc, etc.    I do not believe paying $19.95 to home page promotion on Godaddy  would be at all effective.  I guess just keywords and  maybe trying to be helpful here , if I can. But  I'm not that smart so I don't know if that's a good idea.    

But you got me thinking and that's good.   Thank you.

Hi @Jennifer100,

Welcome to the Community!

The 60-day transfer lock would apply at all registrars as ICANN (not GoDaddy) sets this rule. Many of the domain sellers within GoDaddy (that use either the auction service or the Premium domain service) currently would have their domains restricted against transfer on this lock - due to either new registration or recent transfer. Their solution upon selling the domain is to simply do an "account change". Moving the domain to another GoDaddy account that the buyer already has or can be quickly set up upon the completion of a successful sale. Just something to keep in mind. 

> do an "account change". Moving the domain to another GoDaddy account 

That's very interesting and if it's solid maybe we can use it.  I found information but nowhere authoritative that mentions that moving avoid the 60 wait. I need to be certain.-

Maybe you have a URL that mentions this and prefer it to be on Godaddy of course. My Wifi  is nearly useless what with everyone home watching netflix and youtube, I might as well be using a 1200 baud modem. 

If I can find something I trust that says moving on Godaddy would avoid the wait person, then you will surely have the accepted solution, probably even if I can't find it. It leads me somewhere.   Thanks!

Yes, it would be a good solution to MOVE an account on GD to another GD account. That seems effectively an INTERNAL TRANSFER. Right?

Our domains are on a different registry and can't be transferred to GD for another month because we updated the contact info a month ago on all our domains. Can't sell, can't transfer, can't have a new boyfriend, can't fly to another country. Life seems to suck lately, and even worse, now I think I could be getting dandruff.

Hi @Jennifer100,

Sorry to hear about your troubles - especially the dandruff. JK

You can still sell the names at the other registrar in GoDaddy's auction, but will need to ask your current registrar if they can do the same type of "internal transfer" - what is for GoDaddy an Account Change. Should you eventually move the domains here, you can use and share these instructions for moving the domains to another GoDaddy account. 

Move out of your account: https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-my-domain-to-another-godaddy-account-822

Accept into a new account: https://www.godaddy.com/help/accept-a-domain-name-account-change-1670?

While this won't assist with air travel or other maladies, I hope the information will help.

I think we will transfer our domains to GD then invite buyers to create an account on GD . I believe GD is fast transfer .

Retired
Not applicable

@Jennifer100 

The transfer lock is added by GoDaddy, ICANN does not mandate any locks.

A: No, ICANN does not place, nor can it lift a 60-day lock on domain names.

Be careful about falling into the lock trap, as GoDaddy will make it difficult for you to remove it.
Capture1.JPG
In such case you'll have to threaten to remove all your domain for them to comply
Capture2.JPG
Community Manager

Hi @Retired. I just wanted to clarify a bit about how domain locking works. The email you provided a screenshot of seems a bit confusing. 

First, per your link, the full text says this:

A: No, ICANN does not place, nor can it lift a 60-day lock on domain names. Registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant's information. Registrars may (but are not required to) allow registrants to opt out of the 60-day lock prior to the change of registrant request. Contact your registrar to see if they will allow you to opt out of the 60-day lock period.

For more information about Change of Registrant and 60-Day Lock After Change of Registrant, please follow this link: https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/ownership-2013-05-03-en

If you visit the second link, you will find this information:

60-Day Lock After Change of Registrant

After 1 December 2016, registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant's information. Registrars may (but are not required to) allow registrants to opt out of the 60-day lock prior to the change of registrant request.

So while ICANN may not do the actual locking, it is an ICANN requirement that the lock occurs. GoDaddy does give customers the option to opt out of locking a domain when it's registrant information is changed, even though we are not required to do so. In the case where someone changes the registrant information for a domain and opts into locking that domain, GoDaddy facilitates the lock because it is required to by ICANN, but ultimately it's the customer who decides whether or not the lock occurs. 

CC @Jennifer100 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.