cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Domain Transfer-in Authorisation Error

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to all this; but have been trying to transfer my domain (.au) to GoDaddy from SmugDomains. I initialised the transfer last night, followed all the required steps in unlocking the domain and authorising transfer from my admin email, and it now says 'transfer pending'. I understand that this process can take a few days, however, I've come across an error and I'm not sure whether the transfer is actually in progress.

On the GoDaddy site, going through domains>transfers-in, I see that my domain is "pending transfer-in". If I click on "view details", it shows me "Transfer status: authorisation code needed". I tried inputting the authorisation code emailed to me by my old provider, however this returns a message of "There was an error processing your request. Please try again". I can't get it to accept the code, despite numerous attempts across different browsers.

On my old provider's site (smugdomains) I see a notification at the top of the page "pending transfer out. Transfer is in progress. View Details", and that options such as "delete domain" are now disabled (as I'd expect from a domain in transfer). However, on clicking the "view details", I am directed to an error page on the GoDaddy site. The error message reads "something's gone wrong on our end", followed by the usual "we're working to sort it out, give it a few minutes or call customer assistance" etc.

Nothing has changed at either end in the last 12 hours or so.

Has anyone else experienced similar? Is my domain actually transferring, or is it stuck waiting for an authorisation that it won't let me provide? If it actually is transferring that's fine, but if it's stuck I'd like to get it sorted as soon as possible as I'm trying to keep to a schedule.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Solution

Re: Domain Transfer-in Authorisation Error

Greetings, @julianbirds ,

It's likely it's processing (it does take several days for final release). It may be that all you see is an artifact of a prior status. However, to avoid waiting for something and then not having it happen I suggest you contact support. It just takes them minutes to pull up the name and the current status. Then you will know conclusively.

I hope that helps,

Thomas D. - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support

Re: Domain Transfer-in Authorisation Error

Thanks for your response @T-3D. Looks like you were right - I decided to wait it out a bit longer before calling support, and the authorisation code entry has now gone and been replaced with "We're waiting for approval from the sending registrar, which can take up to 7 days.". Looks like it's just a waiting game now.

Thanks again,

J