cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Doug42
Skilled

Domain transfer completion date is after expiration date

I have some domains at another Registrar which expire in 5 days so instead of renewing I transferred them to GoDaddy.  But the original Registrar states they won't release to GoDaddy for 6 days.  Will the domains expire before the transfer to GoDaddy is complete?

10 REPLIES 10
Employee
Employee

Re: Domain transfer completion date is after expiration date

Hello @Doug42!

Thank you for posting. With most domains, you get a year of registration with your transfer. If you'd like, reach out to our support team to have them look and tell you specifically if your domains received a free year. 

Heather - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
24/7 support available at x.co/247support
Doug42
Skilled

Thanks Heather,  so I guess the question would be, at what time in the process of the transfer does that year start?  WHOIS still shows an unchanged expiration date and that date is before the expected final transfer date.

Employee
Employee

Hello @Doug42!

Thank you for your reply. The free year, if it applies to that domain, will apply after the transfer completes. However, if they're already in the final stage of transfer, they should be locked in and transfer to us where that extra year will be added. 

Doug42
Skilled

As I stated in the subject, the "completion date" is set for AFTER the expiration date and therefore that "free year" has no bearing.

Does anybody know what happens when a domain name expires withing the transfer window?

Employee
Employee

Hi @Doug42,

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for any confusion. When I said, "if they're already in the final stage of transfer, they should be locked in and transfer to us where that extra year will be added," what I meant was if you have already entered the transfer codes and the transfer says it's processing then the domain will transfer. If you want to be 100% sure, you can reach out to the registrar it's currently with to ask if they have a different practice. 

Doug42
Skilled

Thanks Heather but I have talked with the other registrar and what they said was if it fails to transfer renew the registration and do the transfer again or cancel the transfer, renew and do the transfer again. They do have a grace period after expiration during which time renewal can still happen but they could not tell what would happen with the expiration happening _during_ the transfer process.  And I had to remind them of the 60 or 90 days period after renewal before transfer can happen. I think I read that somewhere.

How's that for confidence in "the system"?  I was hoping a larger registrar, like GoDaddy would have a more definitive answer.  It would seem I just have to wait and see what happens and react from that point.  I guess that'll teach me to understand the 6-7 days delay is real and no shorter and not to delay until the last week.

Doug42
Skilled

I didn't transfer all of my domains and the previous/current registrar only complained about one of my domains expiring. What that means is the domains in the transfer are still in process and did not fall out of transferring or else I would have received complaints about all my domains expiring. 

Doug42
Skilled
Solution

The transfer occurred properly and the renewal date was reset to a year out and on the same expiration day.

techguy
Experienced

did this cause any downtime ?

Doug42
Skilled

no, the domains transfered fine.