Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
New

Domain transfer from someone else to me

Hi all,

Forgive me, I am new to this and in the "research/learning" phase!  A domain I want to use is owned by my ex-boss.  He is happy to let me have it and currently has it registered with 1and1.co.uk.  He has the .com and .co.uk domains but, after researching the subject, I believe it will be simpler for him to unlock and provide the auth code for transfer of the .com domain, right?

If he provides the auth code to me, and I go through the new account setup with GoDaddy, what will I then need to do in order to "take ownership" of the domain myself and use it for my GoDaddy site?

Does the new registrar (GoDaddy) then just automatically update the ownership details of the domain for me?

Thanks in advance

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Domain transfer from someone else to me

@AndyO wrote:

Hi all,

Forgive me, I am new to this and in the "research/learning" phase!  A domain I want to use is owned by my ex-boss.  He is happy to let me have it and currently has it registered with 1and1.co.uk.  He has the .com and .co.uk domains but, after researching the subject, I believe it will be simpler for him to unlock and provide the auth code for transfer of the .com domain, right?

If he provides the auth code to me, and I go through the new account setup with GoDaddy, what will I then need to do in order to "take ownership" of the domain myself and use it for my GoDaddy site?

Does the new registrar (GoDaddy) then just automatically update the ownership details of the domain for me?

Thanks in advance

Andy

@AndyO You'll want to have him unlock the domain and provide you with the authorization code. Then follow these intstructions: https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-to-godaddy-1592

---

New

Thanks very much Justin, much appreciated.

Ok, I have advised him to do this, but I am not 100% clear on the requirement for him to "add DNS hosting" on his side, I have told him he needs to do this so hopefully his registrar will assist (1and1.co.uk).....

I bought a domain from GoDaddy Auctions and transfer are in pending. I request the seller to send me AUTH CODE but he replied me to contact with GoDaddy.

Will GoDaddy contact him to send me the code?

or

How could I get Auth Code?

Thanks

Aminul

Super User II
Super User II

@aminulcs wrote:

I bought a domain from GoDaddy Auctions and transfer are in pending. I request the seller to send me AUTH CODE but he replied me to contact with GoDaddy.

Will GoDaddy contact him to send me the code?

or

How could I get Auth Code?

Thanks

Aminul

@aminulcs typically when you purchase a domain through Godaddy auctions the domain has to be transferred to your Godaddy account.

---

Will GoDaddy collect Auth Code from seller to transfer the purchased domain in my GoDaddy Account?