cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Don't use GoDaddy's Domain Back up or Monitoring Service - Rip Off Alert

I've been using the domain monitoring and back order service since 2009 trying to get the .com version of a domain that matches our company name and for which we already own the .us, the .biz, and virtually every other treatment EXCEPT for the .com.  The .com was horded by a pharmaceutical company and I was sold (by my GoDaddy representative) on the fact that as soon as the domain became available, I would be notified and they would place an order for it.  NOT!  Imagine my surprise when the domain pirates contacted me offering to sell my domain for a small fortune . . . no notification by GoDaddy - no alert indicating the domain may become available . . . just a curt hostage exchange message.  This service is a farce and GoDaddy wouldn't apologize or even acknowledge they missed the boat.  WOW - You also notice there is absolutely nowhere to leave a Google rating on the company.  Imagine that.  Well GD - you get 1 star from me.  Goodbye!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III
Solution

Re: Don't use GoDaddy's Domain Back up or Monitoring Service - Rip Off Alert

Hey there @teldredge,

Sorry you've had a bad experience, but it sounds like maybe the domain was purchased from the company and never went back into the pot for public purchase. This happens pretty often, especially with domains that already have traffic going to them. 

I've bought several domains using the Domain Backorder service and have never once had an issue. It sounds like you may be blaming the product when, in reality, it was a savvy domainer that picked it up straight from the domain owner.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. I DO NOT answer private messages. Please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Don't use GoDaddy's Domain Back up or Monitoring Service - Rip Off Alert

@teldredge wrote:

I've been using the domain monitoring and back order service since 2009 trying to get the .com version of a domain that matches our company name and for which we already own the .us, the .biz, and virtually every other treatment EXCEPT for the .com.  The .com was horded by a pharmaceutical company and I was sold (by my GoDaddy representative) on the fact that as soon as the domain became available, I would be notified and they would place an order for it.  NOT!  Imagine my surprise when the domain pirates contacted me offering to sell my domain for a small fortune . . . no notification by GoDaddy - no alert indicating the domain may become available . . . just a curt hostage exchange message.  This service is a farce and GoDaddy wouldn't apologize or even acknowledge they missed the boat.  WOW - You also notice there is absolutely nowhere to leave a Google rating on the company.  Imagine that.  Well GD - you get 1 star from me.  Goodbye!

@teldredge Technically I do not believe that the domain name became available otherwise you would've been notified that the domain name had expired and that it was in a redemption period. At Godaddy, all of their expired domains first go to an expired auction. More than likely someone bid on and won the domain and emailed potential buyers. It never technically expired so the backorder process wouldn't have occurred.

---