cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

How long for domain transfer to another GoDaddy account?

I initiated 2 domain transfers to other GoDaddy accounts in the past 48 hours. They have both been accepted by the recipients. However, the domain status is still stuck in "Account change in progress".

How long does it usually take?

5 REPLIES 5
Community Manager
Community Manager
Solution

Re: How long for domain transfer to another GoDaddy account?

Hi @miketee79. Thanks for being part of GoDaddy Community! Account changes usually only take a few minutes once they've been accepted. My guess would be that the recipient didn't complete the change properly. They may want to reach out to our care team for help if this is still a problem. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

I have spoken with Go Daddy customer service three times now, and the account sending the domain has spoken with you once. Every time we get a different story, that there's nothing wrong on the receiving end, must be the sender. Sender calls and they tell him it must be a problem on the receiving end. Yesterday the agent couldn't find any issues and said they would escalate it up to the next level to manually transfer it; they promised to contact me later that day and I never heard anything. Today when I called it was like none of the previous calls had ever happened. Is it the senders fault (wouldn't having the sender check for the approval email be the FIRST thing a customer service rep would ask him to do when HE called?), did you follow all the email links (the second email I receive to accept the changes, whether I click "yes" or "no," either way it goes to an error message! Then he said the transfer process could take 72 hours (!) even though this response here suggests it is much faster, and assured me the transfer would not time-out after a week even though this is exactly what happened on our first attempt!

Did the original poster ever get their problem resolved?

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @AmberK. Sorry you're having a difficult time with this. As I mentioned above, moving a domain between accounts usually only takes a few minutes. There are times when it can take longer. I believe some country code domains (like .eu) may require a manual review. However, if that's not the case, and there are no issues with the system, then the move should only take a few minutes after both parties have taken the appropriate steps. I apologize if you were told otherwise. If you continue having trouble, you may want to get on a conference call with the other customer you're working with and support so everything can be done at the same time. I hope you're able to get this figured out!

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.
Solution

If anybody cares, I was finally able to resolve this issue through my own research:

There was a cookie or plug-in or something of that sort in my Chrome browser that was interfering with the Go Daddy product site such that submitting transfer/change approval forms was giving me errors. These errors resulted in the transfer not taking place and eventually timing out. I had the sender re-initiate the transfer and used Chrome in Incognito Mode (Microsoft Edge worked as well). I was able to confirm the transfer without errors and the transfer was, as you said, basically instantaneous.

It is unacceptable to me that it took calling Customer Support 4 times, getting 4 different answers for what could be wrong, and none of them being correct. Calling Customer Support on 3-way with the sender would not have resolved this because none of your agents were aware of the issue. I spent essentially a day and a half of my work time, and ended up having to resolve the issue myself through research and trial-and-error. If there's any way for you to notify your site developers that there must be a common Chrome plug-in or issue with cookies causing domain transfers to fail, it would save someone else some time. I consider this a bug in your software that should either be patched, or prompt a recommendation of what browsers are supported. I'm just flabbergasted at how a simple transaction could go so fundamentally wrong and Customer Support was neither able to, nor interested in, resolving it.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for following up @AmberK. Super glad you were able to get it figured out. I'd love to pass this information on to our dev team. Would you be able to provide a full list of the plugins/extensions you're using in Chrome? If we can identify which one was causing problems, that's the first step in getting a fix in place. If you'd rather not provide them here, feel free to send me a private message with the information.