Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted
SiLeNCeD
Apprentice

How to move primary domain from one hosting package to another

Hello... I've been running my domain with the Ultimate Web Hosting Linux web hosting on GoDaddy for years. Godaddy gave me a call and said "we can offer the same features and with our new cPanel for less". So that hosting, called "Ultimate Linux Hosting with cPanel", is active now.

I've backed up what I needed... and the old hosting will be up for a bit.

Does anyone know how I properly disassociate my domain from the old hosting platform, so that I can associate it to the new one? They seem to have different mechanisms for how to associate domains.

5 REPLIES
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
Solution

Re: How to move primary domain from one hosting package to another

If I'm remembering correctly for ultimate hosting you must go Manage and look for Domain Change (Primary) in your Hosting Details? For others who may have this same issue I'll also include Change your account's domain in cPanel hosting and Change your account's domain (Web & Classic Hosting). I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

SiLeNCeD
Apprentice

Thank you, rd.

That info is very helpful. When I follow the instructions for the classic domain change, it brings me to where I'd expect to go, but when I click "Change Primary", I get a box that opens with "WARNING: Changing your account's primary domain name may cause problems with your Web site. References or links using the old domain name must be updated." and then a field for "Domain". But I don't want to place a domain there... I just want to remove the domain so that it's available to the other hosting with cPanel.

I'll give support a jingle tonight and see where they point me on that and provide the info back on this post to share. There's probably some trick (or maybe it's about those sub-domains and I need to remove them before it gives me the option to just X it).

Solution

Glad the information I provided helped a bit @SiLeNCeD. I forgot to mention that my practice (actually a common practice) is to change from yourdomain.com to old.yourdomain.com as the primary domain. I know that you said you pulled everything from the site that you need but making a subdomain primary helps for those maybe forgotten items? 

I don't usually bother to make the subdomain I designate actual, the domain you enter does not have to be valid. If I need the old website I go and create the subdomain but not until I need it, I don't want it to be publicly visible. Come back and let us know how this all worked out! 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

SiLeNCeD
Apprentice

Perfect rd!

In the old hosting, I set the domain field to old.mydomain.com. This changed it's status to 'pending'. I checked back (not sure how long it takes, but I came back the next morning) and it's status was locked down. Then I was able to go into the new hosting and set the domain to mydomain.com.

So lessons learned...

- When you use "Change Primary", you need to supply a false domain (I followed the rd method of using 'old' infront of my domain (e.x. old.mydomain.com).

- Using the "Change Primary" function takes time to propagate and allow the change to display your wanted domain for the new hosting.

Thanks again!

Good that you were able to get your issue resolved @SiLeNCeD. Thank you for coming back and offering your practical experience.