cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Issue with A record update?

Hello all,

Firstly, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere on the boards.  I've searched through - and am reasonably tech-savvy - but havent been able to fix the problem I've been having.

My website (wordpress based) grahamtownsend.com has been hosted on GoDaddy for some years now.  I recently applied some updates and then found that, I think due to php issues, I could no longer access the wordpress admin page and so couldnt manage my site.  After some research I decided that an upgrade of GoDaddy package to get a more current version of php was needed.  So I upgraded and got access to cPanel etc.

I used new.grahamtownsend.com to move all my files.

Now in cPanel I see the following;  new.grahamtownsend.com  160.153.129.232  Europe

When I use cPanel to try to change the primary domain from new.grahamtownsend.com (the name I used to transfer all the site files) to grahamtownsend.com, and get the message:

Info: This option will require that you update your DNS A record to 160.153.129.232

But I've already done this - several weeks ago now in fact.

On the dropdown for “Enter a domain or subdomain” I get the choice of grahamtownsend.com or new.grahamtownsend.com. When I choose the first option I get a tick for “domain name is valid” and for “Does not contain www.”, but then the change fails on “Not already hosted elsewhere”.

As you can see I already changed the A record in DNS management as follows:

Type A
Name @
Value 160.153.129.232
TTL 1 Hour

I'd really appreciate any help in putting this right - many thanks in advance!

Regards

Graham

9 REPLIES 9
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Issue with A record update?

@Graham_Townsend 

I'm a little confused by your setup - if you have multiple websites on one cPanel account or two different cPanel accounts

You can not have the same primary domain on more than one account so if you have 2 cpanel accounts

new.

mainsite

You may have to change mainsite to old.  and then change new. to mainsite

GoDaddy Pro User - Managing over 300 WP Sites

Thanks for the reply.

I have one website on one cPanel account - but have changed my hosting plan to get latest version of cPanel; and more importantly php, as the older hosting plan didn't support newer versions of php, that I need for my wordpress-based site to actually work.

Hopefully that makes things a little clearer?

Super User II
Super User II

@Graham_Townsend 

So what you need to do is rename the original hosting account / remove the primary domain from there - then you can add it to the new one

Highlighted

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Before I go in and start deleting stuff, just wanted to check a few things!

DNS Management for GRAHAMTOWNSEND.COM shows160.153.129.232

and IP address for new.grahamtownsend.com is also 60.153.129.232

On my products page domains lists grahamtownsend.com.  Nameservers are ns65.domaincontrol.com and ns66.domaincontrol.com.  If I select manage and then delete domain I get the warning "Deleting this domain removes it from your account. It may or may not be available to register after it’s deleted. This also breaks any products or services connected to the domain."  Obviously I'm a bit wary of doing this...

Also on the products page I have Web hosting shown as Economy Linux Hosting with cPanel, and then new.grahamtownsend.com.  If I select manage here then I get back to cPanel, and the same issue I described in my original post - primary domain is new.grahamtownsend.com

that should read that the IP address for new.grahamtownsend.com is also 160.153.129.232

Super User III Super User III
Super User III
Solution

DON'T DELETE THE DOMAIN IN THE DOMAIN MANAGER!

Access the old hosting account and change the Primary domain (to something like old.yourdomain.com).  This would make it so the bare domain is no longer associated with a hosting account and you should be able to add it to the new one (it may take a little time for the change to be recognized).

Eventually you can cancel the old hosting plan, but I do recommend keeping it at least until you're sure the transition has gone to plan.

Thanks, I wasn't about to delete the domain - that rang alarm bells...

However, I only have one hosting account - Economy Linux Hosting with cPanel.  So I can't see how to change the primary to old.grahamtownsend.com...

Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@Graham_Townsend 

One the old account which I'm assuming has https://hostingmanager.godaddy.com/ in the URL when you access it....

If you go to Hosted Domains I'm assuming grahamtownsend.com is showing as the primary domain.....

If you click on checkbox next to the primary you can then click change and should be able to then set it to old.grahamtownsend.com

Once you do that give it about 10 minutes and you should be able to change the new server to grahamtownsend.com

Hope that all makes sense