cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

My domain is set to expire, but access is controlled by my previous web company

Please help!

I have had a message from GoDaddy to set my domain to auto-renew, as it is due to expire soon.

The problem is, the website company who set up my domain & website years ago have all the account log-in access. I have checked and the domain is registered and owned by me. I have since had my site redesigned by a new web designer, and the old company were a bit reluctant to change the DNS settings to point to my new site. Now, I find that my domain is set to expire and they have the only access to my domain settings. So  I feel like they have me over a barrel.

Is the web company obliged to give me access to the domain account? Or are they entitled to charge me to set the domain to auto-renew? 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Re: My domain is set to expire, but access is controlled by my previous web company

@ronniesboy

Are you down as the Registrant Name?  If so, you own and control the domain.   If your name and company info is down as the Registrant but the email address is the other guys, then you have to call GoDaddy, authenticate yourself and get that information changed.

This not an matter of their obligation but more of ethics.  Credible companies do not hold login credentials hostage for folks that want to move on.  It is your domain and they should provide you the access credentials if you ask for them.

I would get on the horn with GoDaddy, and make sure you are down for all contacts and change the logins immediately.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: My domain is set to expire, but access is controlled by my previous web company

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am the registrant of the domain. And the email notification of the domain expiry came to me. But, after contacting GoDaddy, it appears that the domain is not attached to my account. To my surprise, they said that another account controls it. 

When I had my site redesigned last year, it turned out that the old web company had the domain registered to themselves for years. When I found this out and expressed my concern,  then quickly transferred it, so that I am now the owner and registrant. Although I'm not 100% sure, I'm convinced (given their track record) that they are the owners of this mysterious 'other' account that controls the domain. 

Super User II Super User II
Super User II
Solution

@ronniesboy

Companies like that give others a bad name...  What you want to do is let them know that you are going to initiate a transfer of *your* domain to *your* account.   Instructions here.

But the domain cannot be expired to do this -- so you must act promptly.

I would send them an sternly professional email letting them know that is what you will be doing and you expect their prompt support and cooperation.

HTH! Smiley Wink

Judith
"Do one thing every day that scares you." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

That's really helpful...thank you for such a swift and useful response Smiley Happy

My domain is now renew on today , but access is not controlled by my previous web company?

can you please arrange my previous website launch with my renewing?

i want my previous website as it is the same!

i hope you should understand my problem and solve it plzz.