cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
deizy
Novice

Newbie question about domain transfer

Hello everyone! I had domain name and hosting with different company, but they've been just horrible and lately my website was down for about a month! So, I have decided to transfer my domain and hosting services to GoDaddy. So that's what I did:

1. Cancelled right away my services with my old company (was so pissed). 

2. Transferred my domain name to GoDaddy.

3. Transferred hosting services to GoDaddy.

Now, since I am new at all of this and know nothing about domain/hosting migration and now reading articles on how to do it (should have read before), I know I made mistakes. I did not back up my files (( but I thought that what the transfer is for - to transfer everything from one server to another. The transfer happened just a day ago but my site still down and not working.

So the question is - should I still wait for the files to be transferred to my new server with GoDaddy or did I lose them completely now? If they cannot be transferred, is there any way I can somehow get them back from the old host? Do they keep them and if so for how long? If I switch back to the old host is there possibility that I will restore my files? 

Sorry if the questions are dumb ) as I said I am new at all of this. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks a lot! 

3 REPLIES

Re: Newbie question about domain transfer

deizy wrote:

Hello everyone! I had domain name and hosting with different company, but they've been just horrible and lately my website was down for about a month! So, I have decided to transfer my domain and hosting services to GoDaddy. So that's what I did:

1. Cancelled right away my services with my old company (was so pissed). 

2. Transferred my domain name to GoDaddy.

3. Transferred hosting services to GoDaddy.

Now, since I am new at all of this and know nothing about domain/hosting migration and now reading articles on how to do it (should have read before), I know I made mistakes. I did not back up my files (( but I thought that what the transfer is for - to transfer everything from one server to another. The transfer happened just a day ago but my site still down and not working.

So the question is - should I still wait for the files to be transferred to my new server with GoDaddy or did I lose them completely now? If they cannot be transferred, is there any way I can somehow get them back from the old host? Do they keep them and if so for how long? If I switch back to the old host is there possibility that I will restore my files? 

Sorry if the questions are dumb ) as I said I am new at all of this. I would really appreciate any help! Thanks a lot! 

Hi Deizy

Sorry to hear you're in a bit of a pickle. Who was the domain/website with before you moved? Do you still have logins to the account?

Cheers,

James

deizy
Novice

Hi James,

It was Arvixe. Yes, I still can log in into my account, but cannot access cPanel or do much there. 

Solution

Hi @deizy

When you purchase a domain transfer, that is all the purchase will do -- the Registry transfers the domain from one registrar (arvixe) to another (GoDaddy). It does not transfer any web content. You will need to upload your website files to the new hosting plan you purchased with us, then direct the DNS to that new site. This will give you some help: https://www.godaddy.com/help/upload-your-website-files-16068

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support