Domain Name: TEDCLARK.NET
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Creation Date: 2000-08-12
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-08-12

I have 2 domains. Here's the last time I renewed:

.NET Domain Name Renewal - 9 Years

$80.01

TEDCLARK.NET

.BIZ Domain Name Renewal - 9 Years (recurring)

$61.69

TECSUPPORT.BIZ

Today for renewal they want:

.NET Domain RenewalTEDCLARK.NET
$56.97
3 Years
.BIZ Domain RenewalTECSUPPORT.BIZ
$62.97
3 Years
8 REPLIES 8
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Price increase ridiculous

@tec805 wrote:
Domain Name: TEDCLARK.NET
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Creation Date: 2000-08-12
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2018-08-12

I have 2 domains. Here's the last time I renewed:

.NET Domain Name Renewal - 9 Years

$80.01

TEDCLARK.NET

.BIZ Domain Name Renewal - 9 Years (recurring)

$61.69

TECSUPPORT.BIZ

Today for renewal they want:

.NET Domain RenewalTEDCLARK.NET
$56.97
3 Years
.BIZ Domain RenewalTECSUPPORT.BIZ
$62.97
3 Years

@tec805 The last time you renewed was 9 years ago, as with anything, prices go up over time. Namecheap will give you an $11 transfer rate but the price goes back up to around $16 next year when you renew it. https://tld-list.com/tld/net

You're currently paying the $18.99 renewal rate at Godaddy, most renewals at all registrars will be around the same price since they are charged a fee by the central registry. They will give you a cheaper rate to transfer your domain there because it boosts their numbers.

---

New

I found Google Domains https://domains.google/ priced at $12 per year for each of mine. This is less expensive than Namecheap or Godaddy for renewal.

Super User II
Super User II

@tec805 wrote:

I found Google Domains https://domains.google/ priced at $12 per year for each of mine. This is less expensive than Namecheap or Godaddy for renewal.

@tec805 I agree, there are certainly cheaper registrars out there. I guess it comes down to if you want to transfer your domain or not. I own thousands of domains so I have the domain discount club, I believe renewals for .net are around $10.99 per year.

---

New

I am STAGGERED by the increase for org domains! I've been a diehard loyal fan of GoDaddy - until today.

I see NO justification for that increase and I do not earn money off those websites by and large so I will be moving my domains off GoDaddy as their prices increase.

NEVER thought in a MILLION years that I would EVER dream of WANTING to flee this company. After 15-16 years of giving them word of mouth free advertising and directing SO MUCH TRAFFIC their way - that is stopping as of today and I will be advising every customer to leave as their domain prices go up.

I used to point to GoDaddy and say in a world of jerk hosts that gouge their customers and hold domains for ransom with exorbitant prices you will NEVER have to worry about that with GoDaddy ... well now it looks like I will be eating those words and sadly I can no longer endorse GoDaddy with any confidence or support.

GoDaddy, I sure hope you wake up - but  have no delusions that you will because when companies get greedy like that it is my experience that they never return to the awesome company they used to be that won my trust, loyalty, and business.

And here I thought I'd keep all my domains (over 30 of them, mind you) here until I died (actually was about to throw down some serious cash and start renewing for a decade but not now!).

I am hugely disappointed, sad and angry and will be seeking a new home for any site that has a similar increase that orgs just got.

New

WOW.  THAT was an Impassioned Plea from a long-time user.  You can feel, read her feedback, that she does not want to leave Go Daddy (who would want to), but, after the rate increases, Have To. 

Go Daddy Leadership, Please take another look at this and see if there is anything else that you could come up with (WE are all OK w/ No More Superbowl Ads (because we already know you)).  

Thanks, 
Randy

Super User II
Super User II

@moanr wrote:

WOW.  THAT was an Impassioned Plea from a long-time user.  You can feel, read her feedback, that she does not want to leave Go Daddy (who would want to), but, after the rate increases, Have To. 

Go Daddy Leadership, Please take another look at this and see if there is anything else that you could come up with (WE are all OK w/ No More Superbowl Ads (because we already know you)).  

Thanks, 
Randy

@AKM @moanr it actually has nothing to do with Godaddy or their leadership. Domain pricing is always set by the central registry of the domain extension as it has always been. Godaddy and other registrars make next to nothing on domain registrations and renewals. You can see this in their earnings statement since they are a public company. .org domains recently went up and ALL registrars had to adjust their pricing to reflect this. You can look around at dynadot, namecheap and network solutions who charges a staggering $35/year for a .org domain.

---

New

I agree this is a "Domain pricing set by the central registry of the domain extension".

Since I manage domains for customers, do you have a link or any place that we can find and "official" communication about this prices increases that is beyond your hands?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II