cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Transfer Domain and Email Hosting

Hi, 

We need to transfer a domain and email from a GoDaddy account to another GoDaddy account and Office 365. So in the end the domain should be registrar with a different GoDaddy account and email should be hosted by O365. 

Which migration path is best:

Migrate mailboxes to Office 365 then transfer domain. I'm worried after transferring the domain that email will break. Keep in mind that Office 365 will have access to both GoDaddy accounts. 

or

Transfer domain and email (If this is possible) and then migrate mailboxes to Office 365.

Thanks 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Transfer Domain and Email Hosting

Hi @FCFNAdmin. Welcome to GoDaddy Community! 

Your situation is a little confusing. To clarify, it's possible to move a domain from one GoDaddy account to another by using an Account Change. Doing so will reset any DNS settings if you use GoDaddy nameservers. However, there is no process to move an email plan from one GoDaddy account to another.

Additionally, due to DNS setting differences, you can not use Office 365 email in conjunction with any other type of email or provider. For example, you would not be able to use both Workspace Email and Office 365 at the same time. It also wouldn't be possible to have the same domain on Office 365 plans in different accounts at the same time. 

Given the above information, how you proceed with the migration is up to you. If it were me, I'd probably move the domain first, then work on getting the Office 365 account set up. That should update the DNS for the domain automatically as long as both products (domain and email) are in the same account. Hope that helps. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.