cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New

Transfer Lock

I have been with GoDaddy for years and bought a domain just over 3 weeks ago. When I called on the phone, I explained to the representative why I needed the domain, that I needed it for another account, etc. 

She NEVER explained to me that there would be a lock put on the domain for 60 days. This is really something that they should tell everyone. 

Godaddy has always been my go to first for domains, but after the mess this has caused me, I will be looking somewhere else. 

It is obvious that someone that has been here for over 10 years means nothing. Not good customer service. 

6 REPLIES 6
Super User II Super User II
Super User II

Hello @amw302,

Please note that the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy, is applicable to all ICANN-accredited registrars and provides that registered name holders must be able to transfer their domain name registrations between registrars. You must wait 60 days after the initial registration or any previous transfers to initiate a transfer.

This isn't a GoDaddy policy but instead a ICANN policy to help with security. Take this as a learning opportunity and not going forward this is ALWAYS the case when purchasing new or when moving a domain. I can't apologize on behalf of the support representative but somehow you guys seemed to not have the proper communication.

I am happy that you have had great experiences with GoDaddy in the past and I hope that you can continue to do so. If buying domains for clients is something you often do perhaps you should look into the GoDaddy Pro program as it seems like a great fit for something like that.

To solve your immediate issue you can point the purchased domain to the client's hosting and when the lock limit is up you can transfer the domain out to the client's account. I hope that helps?

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head

I Have started the process of transferring domain name to another godaddy account, also have already approved/authorized transfer confirmation on email but forgot to 'unlock domain' now in my domain settings upon unlocking domain i received error message "There was an error processing your request. Please try again."

Kindly confirm what to do? Thank you

Hi,

I bought a domain about 6 months ago and I wish to transfer it away from godaddy, but it is saying that the authorisation code and transfer are disabled, its been over the 60 day period for purchase and I have not changed any details on my account.  I have also turned the domain lock off.

Why is it that its still disabled?

i also have a question about transferring a domain... How do i transfer it for use on my own personal CPU as host? do i have to wait 60 days for that?

Absolutely right its only time wastage i am also bothering. I need my domain immediately and its showing me wait 60 days what is this???

@MuteebAhmadwrote:

Absolutely right its only time wastage i am also bothering. I need my domain immediately and its showing me wait 60 days what is this???

To be clear a transfer lock is not a use lock. As I stated in my initial reply you can still use the domain by pointing it to whatever hosting you would like. The truth is there are a myriad of reasons, situations, causes and solutions for your issue. Unfortunately just getting some brief information in a quick question makes it difficult to answer "Why is my domain locked?" The only information anyone can provide would be generic. 

Please don't get frustrated. I have been in these kinds of waiting periods and I know that they can be frustrating. Know that the transfer process is for the customer even though at times it can be frustrating. There is a great chart called Change nameservers for my domains that will guide you to pointing your domain in many different situations. I hope that helps? 

...turns out that my two cents is worth less or more depending on the current exchange rate.

roy darling *my posts seem a lot shorter in my head