cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transfer both domain and hosting to godaddy- things to watch for

I have a domain and website is being hosted at ewebguru
I want to transfer both domain and hosting to godaddy.

I am worried as I am not technically very sound and will follow instruction from the web.   

The domain is being used with Gsuite as company's official mail. The website is built on wordpress and has 'total cache', 'cloudflare' and sucuri service enabled. My query is that what to do before and after the transfer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super User IV

@gurujee1 

This is a little bit of apples to oranges and you have some options as to how to set this up....

1) Domain Registration Transfer - this is just a matter of purchasing the transfer and putting in the auto codes - when the transfer happens, the name servers will stay with CloudFlare.

2) Hosting - 

You have a couple of options

A) cPanel Hosting - this is probably closest to what you have today - In regards to moving the site you would just need a zip of the current site  / database which you would upload to the new server and then import the database to the new server update the wp-config.php settings and update the DNS at CloudFlare

B) Managed WordPress hosting - this is where GoDaddy will take care of the server side stuff for you, also it includes a CDN, Cacheing and an SSL Certificate - thereby eliminating the need for Total Cache and CloudFlare. In this case I would recommend setting up a blank WordPress site on GoDaddy and using all in one total migration - Using the plugin it would allow you to create a file to then import on the new server.

Then you would update the Name servers from CloudFlare to the GoDaddy default servers and setup your zone (email settings etc) in GoDaddy

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Super User IV

@gurujee1 

This is a little bit of apples to oranges and you have some options as to how to set this up....

1) Domain Registration Transfer - this is just a matter of purchasing the transfer and putting in the auto codes - when the transfer happens, the name servers will stay with CloudFlare.

2) Hosting - 

You have a couple of options

A) cPanel Hosting - this is probably closest to what you have today - In regards to moving the site you would just need a zip of the current site  / database which you would upload to the new server and then import the database to the new server update the wp-config.php settings and update the DNS at CloudFlare

B) Managed WordPress hosting - this is where GoDaddy will take care of the server side stuff for you, also it includes a CDN, Cacheing and an SSL Certificate - thereby eliminating the need for Total Cache and CloudFlare. In this case I would recommend setting up a blank WordPress site on GoDaddy and using all in one total migration - Using the plugin it would allow you to create a file to then import on the new server.

Then you would update the Name servers from CloudFlare to the GoDaddy default servers and setup your zone (email settings etc) in GoDaddy

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post