cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transfer of ownership after my death

How to leave instructions and authorize transfer of my websites after my death....

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Transfer of ownership after my death

Hi @masterlifter, I would recommend speaking to the attorney you use to create a last will & testament to see how you would go about leaving a domain to a specific person.  

I wasn't able to find any information online about this process, but I'm sure a legal expert would be able to get it sorted out for you.  Thanks.  

MPC

Thats not what I mean't...How do I leave information with GoDaddy for authorized person/s to take over ownership of the websites (3). ?

New

How to gain access to domains/accounts after owner's death
looks like a solution, [see link below]

https://www.godaddy.com/help/how-to-gain-access-to-domainsaccounts-after-owners-death-8356?   HOWEVER as of 2019-01-08 This page is linked to https://supportcenter.secureserver.net/ChangeRequest/Index which is a “lost email account” form, NOT the correct form. They ask for a photo ID for the Registrant who obviously is dead. Wouldn't you think they'd be asking for a Death Cert? I have spent several days, and gone through numerous Tech support persons who have no solutions. Good Luck.

Hi @bk5,

If a non-account holder (relative, friend, business partner, etc) needs to access the account of a deceased person through www.changeupdate.com, they will need to provide a death certificate and legal documentation showing the estate administrator - along with the administrator's ID and the requester's ID. If you work with an estate attorney, you may also provide arrangements with them to include account access information for the party to whom you're transferring the account. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support

@TLH Can my GoDaddy account and my domain name be "owned" by me and my son and my daughter-in-law, as joint tenants, so that if one of us dies, the others control the account and domain name?

Solution

Hi @dorsilaw

As long as any name is listed on the account, all parties listed there will have to provide ID if there is ever assistance needed for access. If any of those listed are deceased, the same information discussed in the previous reply will need to be provided as well. You may wish to place the account under the business name instead of multiple names. That way, should you find yourself locked out of the account, only the requesting party's ID and the business license need to be presented. 

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support