cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
Highlighted

Transfer out (DISABLED) for 60-days just for changing contact info (email) of registrant

Can someone "qualified" explained to me what is the purpose of putting a 60-day hold on domain transfers just for updating the registrant's contact information?

Does not seem to be a very pro-consumer policy. Feels like you are trying to retain customers by force.

1 REPLY
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
Pro Community Founder Trusted Advisor
Solution

Re: Transfer out (DISABLED) for 60-days just for changing contact info (email) of registrant

@mikelaizpurua

Actually this is an ICANN policy (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) put in place to prevent someone from changing the Registrant info and transferring away your domain without your knowledge.

"60-Day Lock After Change of Registrant

After 1 December 2016, registrars must impose a lock that will prevent any transfer to another registrar for sixty (60) days following a change to a registrant's information. Registrars may (but are not required to) allow registrants to opt out of the 60-day lock prior to the change of registrant request."

This is not to retain customers by force.  It is to protect domain owners whose accounts have been compromised. 

So while it is inconvenient if you are not aware of the policy, it is there for good reason and is not a GoDaddy specific policy.

HTH! Smiley Wink

P.S. I don't work for GoDaddy. Just hanging out; helping out where I can.