cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution
New

Transfer someone else's GoDaddy domain to my GoDaddy account

I am trying to transfer someone else's GoDaddy domain to my GoDaddy account. They have already given me the Authorization code but i am new at this and struggling even where to start. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User II
Super User II
Solution

Re: Transfer someone else's GoDaddy domain to my GoDaddy account

@Mlaw2 wrote:

I am trying to transfer someone else's GoDaddy domain to my GoDaddy account. They have already given me the Authorization code but i am new at this and struggling even where to start. If anybody can help it would be much appreciated.

@Mlaw2 These are two completely different things. If the domain name is already registered at Godaddy you'll want them to follow these instructions: https://www.godaddy.com/help/move-a-domain-to-another-godaddy-account-822

If you're transferring a domain name from another registrar to Godaddy then you'll follow these instructions: https://www.godaddy.com/help/transfer-my-domain-to-godaddy-1592

----

Highlighted

What if they were willing to generate the Auth code but are NOT willing to go through all of the steps listed to move an account within GoDaddy?? I can go right now to NetSol (really don't want to!) and enter the auth code and get it done. Why can I not do that here??? Ridiculous! 

Solution

Hi @dESnoop,

An Account Change (from one GoDaddy account to another) does not use an Authorization code to make that lateral move. An Authorization code is a "domain password" ONLY used by the Registry to move a domain between registrars - such as GoDaddy.com and Network Solutions. It is an entirely different process, dependent on the Registry that requires a fee and a change to the domain's term. 

If you provide your email address to the party with the domain, it takes mere minutes to initiate the Account Change. You would then receive codes at that email address that you would enter in your domain manager, moving the domain in 5 minutes or less. To speed their process tell them:

1. In the Domain Manager, check the box to the left of the domain

2. Under the "More" icon, choose "Begin Account Change"

3. Enter your email address (that you provide them)

4. Do NOT click "I have the recipient's customer account or username"...

5. And DO click "Do not change" under Domain Contact Information.

6. Click Next and Finish.

TLH - GoDaddy | Community Moderator
Supporting you at x.co/247support