cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution

Transferring .com domain with privacy to another Godaddy account

Hello, 

I read the help files on transferring a .com domain from one Godaddy account to another. It is pretty straightforward except that it says that domain protection (privacy) must be taken off first. 

It says nothing of what happens when the domain is transferred to the next Godaddy account. So my questions are:

1. Is the privacy lost? Does the 2nd account holder have to buy it again? It doesn't seem fair if that is so. 
  2. Or does it mean that the privacy is transferred separatly and needs to be set up, and if so does it mean the domain is without privacy for the short duration of the transfer? 
  3. Will the renewal date also be transferred meaning that the new owner will need to renew on the same day that I am due to? 
  4. Can I not transfer the domain and privacy together to the 2nd account? 

Thanks in advance for any help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Super User IV

@topsy88 

While I'm not 100% sure, I believe the answer is this is no, the privacy cannot be transferred. I believe while DomainsByProxy maybe a GoDaddy company it's a 3rd party and it can't transfer the "license / privacy" between accounts. 

When you transfer the domain, the expiration date of the domain remains the same - it is only when you transfer between registrars to GoDaddy that you get additional time. 

In theory during the period when you disable the privacy / transfer the domain and then re-enable the privacy yes the Whois information maybe public.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

View solution in original post

Community Manager

Hi @topsy88. Thanks for posting. @PL281 is correct in that the Private Registration service that we currently have will not transfer between GoDaddy accounts. However, we plan on making improvements and changes to this service within the next few months. When those changes are rolled out, the privacy service will move between accounts. I don't have an exact timeframe on when this will happen, but it should hopefully be sometime in June. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User IV

@topsy88 

While I'm not 100% sure, I believe the answer is this is no, the privacy cannot be transferred. I believe while DomainsByProxy maybe a GoDaddy company it's a 3rd party and it can't transfer the "license / privacy" between accounts. 

When you transfer the domain, the expiration date of the domain remains the same - it is only when you transfer between registrars to GoDaddy that you get additional time. 

In theory during the period when you disable the privacy / transfer the domain and then re-enable the privacy yes the Whois information maybe public.

I am a GoDaddy End User - Just Like You
Check out my site! | I currently manage over 300 WordPress Websites
* Please note that I offer free advice on this forum. Thank You Info If you would like personalized help, please contact me. Otherwise, please ask your question in the proper forum so the answer can assist EVERYONE in the community and not just you. Thanks! *

Once your issue is resolved,
please be sure to come back and click accept for the solution

Get Better Support on the Community Boards!
Etiquette When Asking for Help from the Community

Community Manager

Hi @topsy88. Thanks for posting. @PL281 is correct in that the Private Registration service that we currently have will not transfer between GoDaddy accounts. However, we plan on making improvements and changes to this service within the next few months. When those changes are rolled out, the privacy service will move between accounts. I don't have an exact timeframe on when this will happen, but it should hopefully be sometime in June. 

JesseW - GoDaddy | Community Manager | 24/7 support available at x.co/247support | Remember to choose a solution and give kudos.

Thank you PL281 and JesseW